6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 2:28 PM by wfleitz

MAC Address?

wfleitz

I noticed when you select an IP entry in IPAM and click on View Details there is a field for MAC Assignment History. I've noticed in some it shows a MAC address based on SNMP but on just regular nodes (PCs for example) there is no MAC history. Does anyone know if there's anyway to pull the MAC history other than by SNMP? What I'm wondering about is if there is ARP table lookup mechanism that can match IPs in IPAM with MAC addresses?

Thanks for any suggestion you might have.

• Re: MAC Address?
          Zak Kahl

You should try having these Subnets scanned.  I notice its gets the mac address and the source of update is "subnet DHCP scan".

Zak Kahl

Loop1 Systems

wfleitz

Thanks for your reply. I have it set to scan but while I am seeing the DNS entry (Source for Update: Subnet DNS server scan) I see nothing in the MAC Assignment History. I wonder if I've configured a setting wrong?

Zak Kahl

Are you setting the DHCP server to scan or DNS server?  I think you need to have the DHCP set to scan the subnet.

Zak Kahl

Loop1 Systems

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      wfleitz

Thanks again for your reply. No, I didn't add the DHCP server. I don't think Solarwinds supports CNR (Cisco Network Registry) server so I just added all the subnets manually.. I could be wrong but I tried the credentials for CNR and it didn't respond. In any case it sounds like I need the DHCP configured to get the MAC history to populate.

Zak Kahl

I do see a section in the IPAM admin guide about setting this up for Cisco.  You may want to take a look and make sure all the credentials are set correctly.  Also make sure you are on a recent version of IPAM.  I see a couple years ago it wasn't supported for CNR.