This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How To Create LEM Reports in Reporting Tool?

I am new to LEM and am curious if it's possible to create your own reports in the reporting applicaiton that comes with LEM and if so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

You CAN customize existing reports with a filter (for example, take the Authentication Report and make it an "Administrators Authentication Report"). Run report, add criteria with Select Expert, Export to RPT, and run the RPT with the embedded criteria.

Instructions: SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Creating a Custom Filtered Report

We don't provide a custom report builder (from scratch) yet. You can, if you are adventurous, use Crystal Reports to create entirely new ones. emoticons_wink.png I don't have a quick KB, but we might have a doc we can provide.

• Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for!

• A work around that I use is to create nDepth queries and save them.  Then you can run and export to .pdf when you need it.  The only problem being you can't run them on a scheduled automatic basis.

Hope this helps.

Chrystal Taylor

http://www.loop1systems.com

• That is a really good suggestion, I will definitely give that a try as well, thanks!

• Ok, so a follow-up question... if I save over one of the default layouts, how do I restore the original?  emoticons_sad.png

• You are talking about the export layouts right?  I don't know how to restore them, but you shouldn't worry about it.  All they are is: All parts (so everything you can put in there), and then one each for each single part (graph, word cloud, etc.)  Maybe someone from SW can comment on how to get them back though.

Thanks,

Chrystal Taylor

http://www.loop1systems.com

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

For reports, it's just re-copying the file from a stock install (if you need it, I can attach).

For nDepth searches, a little more complicated, but we could give you the search and you could save a new one (or log in as a different user to get the stock search, copy and paste using the "text mode" search toggle). emoticons_wink.png

• It's the nDepth Export layout that I managed to save over.  I understand that I can just re-create a layout but I would like to know how to restore one if possible.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

OH, the layout, <light bulb>

Export layouts are one of those little things that doesn't have an Import/Export. With the AIR console, we can restore defaults a little easier, since they are files on disk on your system. With the web console, though, it's a matter of files on disk on the appliance.

So, it looks like:

1. Recreate
    2. Contact support to restore for you (they can wipe out changes, copy a known good one over, etc)
    3. Clever solution (effectively what support would be doing, just more directly):
      1. Export a backup of your current user settings as your logged in user in case something gets messed up by going to Gear > Export User Settings (under Manage > Appliances).
      2. Log in as a new user (or one with the appropriate config still present)
      3. Go to Gear > Export User Settings (under Manage > Appliances) to export all of their console settings
      4. A LEM_User_Settings.zip will be created wherever you specify.
      5. Open the zip file
      6. Remove everything EXCEPT what you want to overwrite on your user - if you import something that already exists (e.g. filters), it will be overwritten, so be careful!
        1. Export layouts are in nDepth\savedExportLayouts_nDepthNormalized.xml
        2. I would recommend against editing the XML unless you are very very careful, but that's how you'd be able to restore just a SINGLE export layout instead of all of them.
      7. Log back on as your user
      8. Import the zip file with Gear > Import User Settings (under Manage > Appliances)
      9. Your user will "refresh" itself with whatever changes were in the zip file
      10. NOTES:
        1. If you make a mistake, you can always restore your own original backup user settings (you made a backup, right!? step a!emoticons_wink.png) and start over.
        2. We also have a copy of a stock user settings (corresponding to our 5.4 version) you can use instead of logging on as another user (skip steps b, c, d above), attached.
    Default_LEM_User_Settings_no_appliances.zip