4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 5:16 PM by Sohail Bhamani

License feature request

Mike Hale

We currently have an SLX NPM license and a SL100 license for NTA.

I've been informed by support that these two licenses are incompatible and that you must have the same license for both products.

This is really bad design.  As switch ports don't send out Netflow information (usually), you're always going to have many more interfaces in NPM than you would in NTA.  The current licensing model forces you to buy licenses you don't need.

• Re: License feature request
          Richard Nicholson

Mike,

Just wanted to comment how I love that you made sure to add (usually) with you switch port comment.  Good stuff. Us Cisco guys would have jumped on that..

But +1 on the Licensing issue.  I can see customers doing span ports on there core switches all the time, and then pulling flow from those ports, and never needing anything close to warrant and SLX license.

Mike Hale

Bumping this to the top.

NTA isn't worth $25,000.  If I wanted to spend that much money, I'd get another product.

Hell, I still might.  I'd rather spend 25k on a developr for Zenoss CE than give money to a company that believes in slapping existing customers in the face like this.

Sohail Bhamani

I would have to agree on this one as well.  I have run across a few customers recently who have opted for various other netflow monitoring tools.  I think the biggest folks who are effected by this are the medium size installations that may need an NPM SLX for pure element count, but not the married version of NTA for the high cost.  The smaller environments get a much less expensive NTA and large environments can usually justify the purchase.  Decoupling the licensing also brings the added benefit of selling NTA as a stand alone module.  It might be wishful thinking, but I felt I must comment on this.

Sohail Bhamani

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com