1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 7:39 AM by mharvey

Orion NPM Polling Engine  - SQL requirement?

hairy51

Hey experts,

I have a really quick quesiton - apologies if it has been asked many times before but I am struggling to find a definitive answer!

We are needing to purchase an additional Orion NPM Polling engine - it will sit in a restrcited network but does have high speed connectivity to the main NPM Server. Does the polling engine server require a local installation of SQL Server? Or is it simply an applicaiton install that talks directly to the main Orion DB?

Any info is much appreciated, I need to get an order placed for the Server ASAP....

Thanks again

Jon

• Re: Orion NPM Polling Engine  - SQL requirement?
          mharvey

Jon,

The additional polling engine will talk directly to the main Orion database.  There is no need for a local SQL install.  Now, having said that, the additional polling engine will install SQL compact edition, which is needed to create files needed for the services.  I mention that so that when you see this on the server it doesn't get removed, or raise questions of why is there a SQL install when you were just told the polling engine will talk directly to the main Orion database.  All you need to do for SQL communication is make sure that the polling engine server can communicate on ports 1433 and 1434 to the SQL server.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1 Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

Putting Knowledge Into Motion

1 of 1 people found this helpful