2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 3:55 PM by David Di Blasio

Failed install reported as successful

Andrew M

I am attempting to install a JRE msi using the switches "TRANSFORMS=JRE6.mst /log c:\JRE6x64.log". Patch Manager reports that the install was successful and the update services view shows the status as "installed"; however the workstation event viewer reports that the msi installation failed with error 1639 and no log file is written to C:\. When I run the installation from an administrative command shell using the same switches, it succeeds.

Full command:

msiexec /i x:\path\to\jre1.6.0_35.msi /qn /norestart TRANSFORMS=JRE6.mst /log c:\jre6x64.log

• Re: Failed install reported as successful
          Andrew M

After more investigation, it appears that the application did install, at least partially. The java.dll file has been upgraded to 6.0.350.10; but in the control panel, Java is still reported at version 6.0.330 and as I mentioned above event viewer reports that the install failed and the msi install log was not written

• Re: Failed install reported as successful
              David Di Blasio

When you created this package did you duplicate one of the java installation packages from the third party catalog? The reason I ask is that certain programs currently running on the target machine (I'm looking at you IE) can have a negative effect on the installation process. It would be important to retain the packageboot functions to kill these operations prior to starting the installation action.