This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adtran Netvanta - get serial number from snmp

How can I get the serial number from an Adtran NV3458 router into the device node information?  Also for reports?

• You would first need to find the MIB/OID that gives you that information.  This can be done by a web search, or even a MIB walk using the snmpwalk.exe found in the Orion installation directory.  Once this is run, get the OID that reports the serial number and create a Universal Poller for it.  You can then add this into a Current Status of Nodes, Interfaces, Etc, report along with other node information to see the serial numbers, and to see it on the web view you would add the Universal Device Poller Status resource to the Node Details view by adding resources and going under Node Detail Reports.  Unfortunately Serial Number isn't something NPM polls for by default, so you'll have to do it with a Universal Device Poller.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

• I found the MIB/OID  adAOSDeviceSerialNumber   1.3.6.1.4.1.664.5.53.1.1.13.

The TestNow button shows the Serial numbers so theUniversal Poller seems to be working.   Now I keep getting a run-time error about the credintials weren't recognized when I try to add the field in with Custom Property Editor.

I have opened a ticket with support.

• Odd that you'd be getting an error when dealing with filling in Custom Property values, especially since those are free fill fields, unless that's when you are hitting submit.  Might be an issue with either the module engine or information service.

• The error message appears after hitting the SUBMIT button on the Custom Property Editor.   It starts by shows 'Adding "Serial Number" to Nodes'  then the run-time error pops-up.

• It may be due to the space in the name.  Try Serial_Number.  The editor is going to try to create that property as a column in the Nodes table of the database.

• Same results whether I use the predefined property "SerialNumber" or a custom property "adSerialNumber"

• I wonder if the DBA has added any restrictions to the SQL user that NPM is using.  You may want to check to make sure that the account is the dbo and it has the right to create columns when needed.

• mharvey - UdaMAN!!!

With the correct access the field was added without any issues.

Thank you!

• Ran across this same issue and was banging my head on the wall for about 2 days until I realized this same thing.  We also had NCM Integration break (see cause below) and cause all kinds of havoc in the Web Administration.

We learned the hard way when I took over the project and the guy that was managing SW before me had created everything under his personal AD account at our company.  Can you guess what happened when he left and his account was disabled??  It was ugly and I found task after task and stuff built that I had no clue was built in SW to begin with until it all broke.

Finally I was able to talk management into having my DBA and Server guys create me a SA account to use when building reports, task, or anything for that matter that needs a AD or User account to function. I highly recommend this when managing anything from NPM, SAM, NCM etc...  Lets just say the need and use case proved themselves.. Anyone else ever have over 12,000 alerts trigger at the same time?? emoticons_laugh.pngemoticons_shocked.png

Now we use SA accounts tied to AD that have no expiration in our Domain, and are marked as high value users.