12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 9:55 AM by acopian

Flash update - Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643

acopian

I recently updated Patch Manager and applied the Microsoft KB2720211 Update. I generated a new self-signed cert and distributed it  out to all PCs.

Since then it seems updates are only goin in on some PCs.

I push out a recent Flash Update, it gets downloaded successfully, but its installation is failing on 7 of 35 PCs with the error, Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643

This seems to be a generic error, any ideas?

• Re: Flash update - Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643
          antwesor

I am still in the process of deploying the 2048 bit signed cert. Almost complete. I noticed that I did have to make sure when publishing patches to make sure it removed the 3rd party patch if it existed to get the 3rd party patch to the clients. I am slowly adding 3rd party patches as needed. I did have to decline all the patches and if I need to get an old 3rd party patch out there I tend to re-publish the package with the option to replace the existing patch if it exists and that has seemed to work the best for me.

Try republishing the flash update and see if that works.

• Re: Flash update - Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643
            Lawrence Garvin

The 0x80070643 error is a generic MSI failure message, and is not related to the publishing certificate. (A publishing certificate issue would actually prevent the download of the installation file, thus it would never even get the chance to be launched.)

Generally when an MSI/MSP installation fails via the WUAgent, launching it interactively can sometimes provide feedback on the reason for the installation failure. If not, then enabling WMI Logging (which can be done with the Patch Manager "Check and Manage Computer Connectivity" tool and re-running the update deployment should produce a detailed installation logfile that can be used to identify the reason for the installation failure.

acopian

Thanks for the information.

You were correct, by running update from PC manually, it informed me that Internet Explorer must be closed to install. I cancelled out, closed IE, and then wuauclt /detectnow to reinstall from WSUS. This time with IE closed the update went in.

So I assuming on the failed PCs, the user had IE open at the time the update was trying to install. Funny how I never had this happen with previous Flash updates.

Thanks again for the solution.

Joe

Lawrence Garvin

I've not seen that issue before either. I've forwarded this thread to our package creation team to look into this and see if we need to enhance how we build those packages.

In the interim, if you want to override this behavior, PackageBoot can be used to terminate the open IE sessions so the update will install.

The JRE packages have example code on how to terminate iexplore.exe.

Lawrence Garvin

What operating system, service pack, and version(s) of Internet Explorer did you encounter this behavior with?

Was this an upgrade or a fresh installation of Flash Active X?

if an upgrade, what previous version(s) of Flash were installed and what versions(s) were you installing?

acopian

It is a mixed bunch.

I have only confirmed that closing IE worked on 1 PC I was testing on, it was an XP SP2, IE8, and the Flash version was the most recent previous version, 11.3.300.270

5 of the PCs experiencing the issue were on XP SP2, IE8, Flash 11.3.300.270

2 were Windows 7 SP1, IE9, Flash 11.3.300.270

I'll be testing/updating the other PCs shortly and I can report back.

Joe

Lawrence Garvin

Thank you for the reply.

I notice that 5 of these 7 systems were on Windows XP Service Pack 2 systems, and they all were with an older version of Flash.

If you're able to reproduce this behavior with the Flash v11.4 package, or on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 system, we would definitely be interested in looking at it further.

acopian

Sorry I misread your question slightly and didn't answer fully,

Flash 11.3.300.265/11.3.300.270 was installed already and was being replaced with the 11.4 update on all PCs.

I am experiencing this install issue with the 11.4 update only. No issue with the previous 11.3.

More info....

In testing one of the Windows 7 PCs, I closed IE, ran the upgrade locally and got the error, Flash Player still in use in an Application (not the previous close Internet Explorer error).

I checked, iexplore.exe was not running....turns out AutoDesk Vault was the culprit, it must use Flash in a help screen or Startup Splash screen.

After closing Vault, the update was successful, however when checking the version of Flash, it still reported 11.3.300.265. I rebooted, check version again, still 11.3.300.265, eventhough the update installed successfully, Flash reported the older version still installed.

That's where I'm at.

I'll keep the info coming, I'll check into some of the other XP PCs.

Joe

acopian

After my last post, I started to question whether or not I imported the correct source when Publishing the Package....the Adobe downloads are generically named when downloading them. This may be causing all or some of the install issues, Metadata says its 11.4, but its the content is 11.3.....

So I deleted the package, removed the content, and republished using the latest redownloaded Flash 11.4 files.

I've never had to republish a package, so I may not have done it correctly. After redeploying the republished package, I still do not show the latest version after a successful update.

Any thoughts here?

Thanks again for your fast replies.

Lawrence Garvin

A common issue in this particular scenario is that the client has already downloaded the installation file for the update. Since the UpdateID did not change, the WUAgent thinks it still has the correct installation file and does not re-validate that fact. If the original installation file was the wrong file, the client will still have the wrong file.

There are two ways to handle this scenario:

• If only a few (or less) clients are impacted, you can rename the SoftwareDistribution folder which will cause the WUAgent to build a new datastore and re-download any installation files that might be needed.
                                        • If several clients are impacted, you can duplicate the original update package, which will create a package with a new UpdateID and publish. In this case, the WUAgent sees a brand new UpdateID (it doesn't know anything, nor care, about the actual product involved in the package), and because it sees a new UpdateID and doesn't have the file for that UpdateID, it will download the file. (Note: You might also choose to use this option to remediate any issues with only a few affected clients, rather than destroying the existing SoftwareDistribution folder. Once you've repaired the affected clients, you can delete the duplicate package from the WSUS server, and continue using the native package.)