This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can SolarWinds Alert escalation work with smartphone?

Hi, I have created the Case Update: 370754 - Acknowledge Alerts and have not received any info/instructions regarding this request.

Basically, we are planning on using alert escalation option to acknowledge the alerts. Please see following scenario:
The alert trigger will trigger alert and create priority 1 helpdesk ticket and also will page the on-call engineer. If the alert is not acknowledged (I would like to know how to alert can be acknowledged) within 15 minutes, then send a page to on call and secondary – engineer. If the issue still is not acknowledged within 15 minutes, page the on-call manager. I do not see any option to take action to accomplish this request (I know we can create different recipients notification group and enable the alert escalation).  We would like to know if alerts can be acknowledged by smartphone.  If so, which third party application (we already have PageGate app).  I hope I receive correct information regarding my request (so far,all I have received from engineer is how to create the alert escalation which I have already done and tested successfully).  Thanks,

• You can actually acknowledge alerts via a smartphone without the need for a third party app.  In the alert message, you would want to include the ${AcknowledgeURL} variable that gets sent to the smartphone.  The engineer can then go to the link that the variable will give and acknowledge the alert.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop1Systems

http://www.loop1systems.com

• Hi Matthew emoticons_happy.png,it good to hear from you.  Actually, I have placed it in message body of the alert but haven't been able to figure how it works.  Would you mind sending me some screenshots or instruction?  As always, I appreciate your great service and help.  Best, Ziba

Also, how can we test it?

Message was edited by: ZibaK Also, how can we test it?

• Ziba,

Using the ${AcknowledgeURL} variable will cause a message that would include something as follows:

alert.png

Once you click on the link, you'll be directed to the Alerts.aspx portion of the website, which in the case of a smartphone will pull up the mobile view, and you can then acknowledge the alert.

acknowledge website.png

You can test the alert, but there won't be anything to see in the acknowledgement as the alert hasn't actually fired.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

• Thanks Matthew, I have the link and it takes me to web console but it didn’t work when we tried to acknowledge it. Do we have to configure smartphone? How we will be able to open the link since this is internal network (should we register the SolarWinds server with ISP and those kind of thing)?

• Since it's internal network, you may have to have a VPN connection on the smartphone to allow the connection to the web.  Otherwise, you'd need to be able to allow access to the website from outside.

• Matthew, we are able to connect to internal wireless and able to acknowledge the alert.  Still, don’t know how to confirm that it’s acknowledged.  I actually looked at the web console and refresh but still holding last update which I acknowledged it which it’s supposed to be by different user.  I appreciate any help Relaxed

Message was edited by: ZibaK We did receive the actuall alert and access it using the link in the message body.

• If you acknowledged the alert through a link you clicked, it may have taken your authentication, which would be why you are being seen as the acknowledged party. The only place to check would be either the Alert Manager or on the web console under the Alerts page.  the question is, who accessed the link, and what credentials were given.

• Matthew, I see following in web console as well as active alerts. My co-worker acknowledged it but still showing under my name as “Acknowledged By”.

• Ziba, did you acknowledge the alert before he did?

• Matthew, I acknowledged the old alert and he acknowledged it once it was triggered again. But only showing my name as “Acknowledged By”