2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 3:43 PM by mdriskell

A REALLY Good Question...

gerry.pond
      Over the past few months, I've received a number of inquiries as to why I don't display my SCP logo along with my signature or have my Thwack badge.  It's a valid question that deserves an answer.        

I've always used my CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer designation since it really relates to my responsibilities and duties here at SolarWinds.  I also think that as the SCP program administrator, I've worked with the exam so much that I "should" be able to pass it in my sleep.  My family swears that I sometimes do!    On the other hand, I've been at SolarWinds long enough to have more than a little network and app management seep into my veins.  You know, the more I think about it, it's a REALLY good question. 

What do you think?  Should I officially get certified?

Best Regards,

Gerry

• Re: A REALLY Good Question...
          DanielleH

Duh! Yes!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: A REALLY Good Question...
              mdriskell

There are a couple of arguments that could be made here.  Certifications are to show value to your employer, future employers, or potentially prove your knowledge in an area.  I'm sure solarwinds doesn't care if you are certified and I would assume you are comfortable in your knowledge.

The second argument is to use what you sell.  How can you sell a community member on something that you yourself don't use.

As for a program administrator I don't know that I would expect that person to pass a test (not saying you can't) no more than I'd expect the dean of a college to be able to pass a physics course.

If it was me I'd go for it (you get a really nice coffee mug)

1 of 1 people found this helpful