This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

where to install agent for storage manager in EMC environment...on Solutions enabler host or ECC agent host..

I just downloaded the Storage manager suite and wanted to see what the storage assessment abilites where.  I was wondering where to install the agent..I am thinking the Solutions enabler host probably..but it could be the ECC host with the agent also...just wondering...

• It depends on your Solutions Enabler host.   Storage Manager uses the EMC SMI-S Collector to gather data from EMC arrays.   This is not in the typical Solutions Enabler install.  I found that it was best for me to just put a VM out there with the SMI-S installation of SE and Storage Manager Agent on the same box.

When moving to production, I deployed a Solutions Enabler appliance, then multiple Storage Manager agents pointed to that appliance.   We have about 14 arrays so we have 6 Agent VMs and 1 SE Appliance.

• Hello Kurt...thx for the info.  I am going to take it that since you are using the SMI-S collector.. this is in a ECC environment right?   I was actually thinking this would be going through the Symm API in solutions enabler and just have to license to use the Symmcli info to collect for the Solarwinds interface...really appreciate your info...

• Actually no, I’m not an ECC shop emoticons_wink.png

For Clariion and VNX the only method I’m aware of for collecting is via the SMI-S Collector

For Symm and VMAX, we’ve continued to use the SMI-S, I don’t think the agent will do native SYMAPI….