This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Kiwi CAT Tools - Bintec/Funkwerk/Teldat Router

Hello,

we are using the Kiwi CAT Tools 3.6 to backup Juniper Routers but we have also Bintec/Funkwerk/Teldat routers in use.

Maybe anybody of you have already add this kind of Router and can give me the Script-File please?

Regards,

SSP Europe

• SSP Europe,

You may like to try using the Generic.Device (device type) in CatTools which also has the Variations feature implemented.

The Variations feature allows you to customize (override) some of the default script variables to better suit your device.

Regards,

Steve

• Hello Steve,

thanks for your answer.

I already knew that I can change the variation features. But I also have to add the command that Kiwi knows how to backup the Bintec device, and I thought I must add a Script to do that?

• The Generic.Device type is based around Cisco IOS type of responses, however with the variations feature, you still have the option to override the default script variables (such as the command used to backup the device, etc.) within the variations options.

If you device is very non-standard though, then you may need to create a custom script yes...  but it really depends on how the device responds.

Give the Generic.Device and variations feature a go and post back how you get on.

Steve

• Hello again Steve,

sorry for the long response time, I was on holidays.

The Problem is, that my device is a little bit special emoticons_wink.png. In the Variation settings I can change the commands to show running config for example, but in my case I just have the option to backup my device via TFTP. And I didn´t see a option to Backup the Device via TFTP in the Variation settings.

Regards SSP

• The Generic.Device supports the Device.Backup.TFTP activity.

There are a number of options within that activity which will hopefully enable you to backup the device via TFTP.

Give this a try and post back with your results.

Regards,

Steve

• I have add a new activity with the Device.Backup.TFTP type but in the knowledgebase I found this:

"NOTE: - This activity has only been added to the following scripts.

Cisco.Router.General

Cisco.Switch.IOS

Nortel.Switch.Ethernet"

So I have to add a new script for my device? If not please help me where I can set up my commands to backup my device via TFTP because I cannot find it.

In the activity details there are options to add "Optional alternative list of commands" but I can´t type anything in there because the field is not enabled (grey).

• Yeah, ignore that list in the Help documentation.  I noticed this was way out of date too recently and so raised an internal ticket to get it updated for the next release.  For a full list of devices for the current release, refer to the Supported Devices web page.

With respect to the "Optional alternative list of commands" field, uncheck the 'File to write to TFTP Server' checkbox and the field above will enable.

Regards,

Steve

• Ok, now I have add my command to TFTP the device but I´ve got an error when I try to start the backup:

2012.08.28 09:25:46    Default    Bintec_Test2    10.254.134.254    Generic.Device    Failed    Unknown

and in the info log I´ve got this informations:

pastedImage_0.png

But when I look into my TFTP folder, there is a file named after my device. I can´t open that file or use it for backup it seems to me that the file is a .temp file because the TFTP command is not finsihed yet.

• You may well be correct in that the file is still in the process of being transferred after the activity is reporting the failure.

However CatTools reporting a failure may be due to one of a number of issues:

1. the command is not echoed when you type it, or
    2. the command takes longer than the default CatTools 30 seconds command timeout, or
    3. the device is responding to the command with some unexpected prompt (maybe an acknowledgement 'y/n to continue' type prompt)?
    4. something else...

Any chance you can provide a sample of a manual session to the device showing the commands and responses from when the TFTP command is sent?

Steve

• When I manually start the command it works without any problems. It looks like this:

pastedImage_0.png

There are no acknowledgements like y/n necessary while this procedure.

The command takes around 5-10 seconds if I try it manually.

pastedImage_1.png