This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating an ICMP ping monitor

Hi,

I would like to create a monitor that pings certain IP address and reports back with a down status if it is not responding.

How do i go about creating this? it will just need to ping a network device not an actual server itself.

I also use a product called GFI and this seems quite an easy task within GFi but not so straight forward in solarwinds.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

• I have just noticed that adding the device in question to solarwinds automatically does this.

Would i need to create any specific report to have it reporting on the same page as say my application monitors?

Thanks

• Adding ICMP information to the Application Details view is relatively easy to do. Simply click the "Customize Page" on the "Application Details" view and add the "Min/Max/Average Response Time - Today" and "Network Latency and Packet Loss - Today" to the view, as pictured below.

Latancy Packet Loss Response Time Application Details.png

• Along the same lines, but I cannot find a component monitor to add a ping to an application monitor... does such a thing exist?

• Adding the node alone is sufficient. All nodes (except external nodes) perform ICMP/Ping checks for node status and response time.

• So, in my case, I have a router at the other end of two point to point links.  The interface on either of the links can be 'up/up', (since it's 'up' if the NID is hot), but not passing data, which happens far more often than a link down.  The alert never triggers when the carrier screws up something in the middle.

Since the other link is a failover that sits idle, I don't know when it's down, until failover doesn't happen.  (Unequal cost load balancing isn't recommended).  The Netflow traffic monitor doesn't show when it's down, since no traffic passes during normal operation.

A ping from the near side router to the IP address of the far side interface will test the traffic. 

When Solarwinds polls an node's polling address, so long as the address can be reached, it's not 'down'.

I want to set up a monitor to test a ping, from here, to there, on two links.  Warn me if the failover is down, and Critical if the primary link fails to respond.

(It's a router.  I'm not enabling HTTP on it.)

• I would recommend running IPSLA operations on that router and monitoring them with VNQM.