17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2019 10:05 PM by neomatrix1217

IP SLA Manager for Shoretel

Raja Boyapati

Is there any plan in near future for IP SLA to support Shoretel?

• Re: IP SLA Manager for Shoretel
          austx

IP SLA is a Cisco feature embedded in Cisco devices. You can use Solarwinds IP SLA Manager along with NPM and SAM to monitor ShoreTel devices (e.g. switches, servers, appliances, etc...) combining these products will provide allow you to monitor devices, networks, and path quality.

Raja Boyapati

We are using the NPM for shoretel Switches using SNMP which gives us only UP/DOWN and Usage statistics. We are using SAM for shoretel Server to monitor the services status. Will IP SLA give us more features? if so what are they?

austx

Yes, IP SLA will provide a significant amount of network “path” performance metrics for VoIP (Solarwinds  includes IP SLA  Data: e.g. HTTP and Network Functionality as well: DNS, FTP, DHCP). You can get VoIP performance metrics by logging into ShoreTel switches and accessing Call Detail Records. However, IP SLA  compliments or augments this  by providing the ability to generate synthetic VoIP  transactions that run continuously  ( configurable) between two Cisco devices or any destination IP address (some IP SLA Test Operations require a Cisco device to be a destination or responder: e.g. VoIP UDP Jitter). The VoIP UDP Jitter test operation provides overall Mean Opinion Score (MOS), Jitter, Latency, and Packet Loss statistics between the source and destination Cisco devices. The ICMP Path Jitter test operation provides Jitter, Latency, and Packet Loss statistics between a source Cisco device and any IP address; this includes per hop metrics. The following Solarwinds IP SLA demo link is helpful to get a better appreciation of IP SLA.

http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/Voip/Summary.aspx

Rick Vosney

(512) 551-7013

Raja Boyapati

Thank you. From what i understand , IP SLA will only work with Cisco Devices. Going back to my initial question , is there a plan in future to include Shoretel?

austx

You are correct, IP SLA is a Cisco feature embedded in their images (e.g. routers/switches). There are comparable stand alone or pure play vendors who can provide equivalent synthetic  VoIP traffic generation to measure  path or call quality metrics either via software agents or appliances. However if you have a customer who uses Cisco for infrastructure and ShoreTel for IPBX using Solarwinds (e.g. NPM, SAM, IP SLA, Network Traffic Analysis, and Network Configuration Mgr.) provides a robust and convenient suite of tools.

FYI, I’m using SAM to monitor performance metrics for ShoreTel switches ( what you can monitor varies between V switches and non V switches).

If you would like to talk further let me know how I can reach you.

Rick Vosney

(512) 551-7013

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              austx

As an alternative to IP SLA -when/where using Cisco is not an option- is to use similar VoIP synthetic traffic generation capabilities  from vendors such as  AppNeta and Visualware. Both specialize in providing VoIP pre-deployment and contious monitoring synthetic traffic generation (VoIP, Data, and Video). They both provide software only components (downloadable to a host at the customer premise) and/or appliances.  The destination target can be any IP address but depending on they type of test you want to run it may require an appliances on the target side (no differenent than runing a VoIP UDP Jitter Cisco IP SLA operation which requires the target be another Cisco device). In the case of AppNeta you could install a software sequencer on the HQ server (please ensure it meets the minimum specs. you may want to test this first as you want to ensure it doesn't conflict or interfer with the primary services a HQ server provides) or on a host in the same subnet and test to all the remote sites (e.g. ShoreTel switches). AppNeta recently added the ability to send SNMP traps to third party RMM/NMS/OSS platforms; e.g Solarwinds NPM ( I provided Solarwinds the MIBs which they have compiled and incldued in the MIB database downloadable from their support site; we're in the process of testing) and the ability to incorporate performance metrics into third party reporting tools.

I hope this provides some additional options.  If you want to discuss this further please don't hesitate to contact me to include discussing ShoreTel Director road-map possibilities applicable to this thread

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                moonshiner

Was curious if you would still chat with anyone regarding Solarwinds + ShoreTel + Cisco Infrastructure? That is our existing setup and we are new to Solarwinds and I've been trying to see how I can integrate Solarwinds into the mix.

Raja Boyapati

Are there any plans in future by Solarwinds to provide this feature for shoretel devices without using any other third party hardware like Appneta?

austx

Raja, I would like to solicit your input regarding your interest in Solarwinds developing a ShoreTel VoIP & Network Quality Manger (VNQM) similar to what they developed for Cisco, Like with Cisco this will allow Solarwinds and ShoreTel customers to import the ShoreTel CDRs to query, report, analyze, etc... real VoIP traffic per call, user, site, business unit,etc... and still allow you to use IP SLA to help isolate any VoIP quality issues reported by ShoreTel CDRs (e.g. packet loss, jitter, latency, MOS). The passive (CDR) and active (IP SLA) combination is extremely powerful and useful those responsible for supporting VoIP (e.g. ITIL Event and Incident Management)