This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cattools: SSH Username and Password fields grayed/greyed out on custom device

I created a custom device from the device templates. now when i try to enter a SSH username and password from the cattools GUI (Devices | Password Tab). the SSH username and password fields show up but the box is kind of greyed out or not open. I cannot place cursor in there and enter a username/password.

Any ideas?

thx in advance,

W

cattools_NoSSHUsername.jpg

• Hi Will,

To fix this issue you need to modify the device .INI file you created. 

Open the .INI file in a text editor (such as Notepad) and locate the following sections:

[item_SSHPassword]

#name=SSH Password

#default=

#required=0

#info="SSH password."

[item_SSHUsername]

#name=SSH Username

#default=

#required=0

#info="SSH username."

Removing the leading '#' character from the lines in the sections shown above, will 'uncomment' these fields and therefore enable them within the device set-up form.

Regards,

Steve

• steve, just got around to testing this with version 3.6.0 cattools. your advice provide the answer, however the ini file didn't contain the SSH login stuff above. Here is what I had to add to the ini file, and where I had to add it. Above and below the '#######Will Additions#######', i added the SSH stuff from above. It worked after that, but wasn't there to begin with. SSH Login worked okay after doing this and configuring. Now i have some questions about a custom devices variations file! emoticons_happy.png The variations file tab on a custome device doesnt show up. How do I get that?

[item_AAAPassword]
    name=Password
    default=
    required=0
    info="AAA/TACACS/RADIUS/Local password."  <-this stuff was already in the INI file

#######Will Additions#######
    [item_SSHPassword]
    name=SSH Password
    default=
    required=0
    info="SSH password."

[item_SSHUsername]
    name=SSH Username
    default=
    required=0
    info="SSH username."
    #######Will Additions#######

[item_SNMPRead] <-this stuff was already in the INI file
    name=SNMP Read
    default=
    required=0
    info="SNMP Read community name."

• Will,

With respect to variations for a custom device; as you are creating your own custom script for the device, you shouldn't need to override anything because it is assumed you would code the custom script correctly in the first instance (i.e. to correctly handle all the device responses/prompts and send the relevant commands for activities, etc.)

The variation feature is provided to allow overriding of the pre-coded values within an encrypted device script provided by CatTools.

Regards,

Steve

• hey steve, i figured that might be the case. I just have to put on my expert sniffing hat to inspect the device.TXT script file. For example, these lines in bold below need to be added for post login script keystroke:

'WRICHMOND CUSTOM VARIABLES

Private Const COMMAND_POSTLOGINKEYS = "cli more 64"

Function SendPostLoginCommands()
    ' The Function SendPostLoginCommands() is called to issue CLI commands setting the environment post successful login.
    ' Refer to Function SendPostEnterEnableModeCommands() for examples of the type of code you would enter.
    '
    ' Calls On:         N/A
    '
    ' Date Created:     [AutoGenDateScriptCreated]
    ' Modifications:    (Date - Description of changes)

If Len(COMMAND_POSTLOGINKEYS) > 0 Then
            cl.SendAndWaitForPrompt (COMMAND_POSTLOGINKEYS)
        End If

SendPostLoginCommands = True

End Function

thx again! getting somewhere!

• From my knowledge on various vendor devices, I would imagine that Private Const COMMAND_POSTLOGINKEYS = "cli more 64" would actually be enabling paging (like terminal length 64 on Cisco IOS)?

If you are wanting to disable paging, then I'd expect you'd more likely need to use the command "cli more 0" (or something along those lines)?

• ... and not that it makes any difference really for a custom script, but the naming convention for CatTools would be to use COMMAND_DISABLEPAGING as the disable paging const name. emoticons_happy.png

Either way works fine though after all its just a name, so you can call it whatever you want... including STEVE_IS_PEDANTIC if you'd prefer. emoticons_mischief.png

• Steve, you are right on with above comment, however, vendor has not enable "cli more 0". Very sad fact after I find that out! The default was 24, with an upper bounds of 64:

root> cli more

<integer>                     lines displayed before asking for more [8-64]

My 64 insertion was an attempt to get about 2/3 of the garbage more character lines. That worked okay. It was still annoying however to have 1/3 of them in the config. As per my other post, I just solved how to entirely remove the garbage charaters and the more prompt itself. the code was already in the SCRIPTS file - just commented out! so it was realtively easy by defining a new Const VAR with the garbage in it. So the above COMMAND_POSTLOGINKEYS will be coming out of the script. emoticons_happy.png

• What about  "no cli more"?    Some vendors use the 'no' variant to disable.

• well crap! "no cli more" does work!! wish i had known about that 2 hours ago! emoticons_happy.png Now i can remove the garbage text code and reinsert the post-login key code. HAHA

i like the "no cli more" option better!

thx for all your help steve. this is cool!

• Cool... thought "no cli more" was worth a shot!

Should make things a lot easier as cleaning up the garbage characters can be a little nasty. 

Prevention is always better than cure. emoticons_wink.png