This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Are there any problems load ipMonitor 10.6 on a VM

FormerMember
FormerMember

I am currently running ipMonitor 10.5 and need to upgrade.  The upgrade instructions look like it is a clean install.  I would like to load the new version on a VM i possible.  Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JD Clements

• Hello Jd.Clements,

In order to upgrade your ipMonitor 10.5 installation to 10.6, simply download ipMonitor from the SolarWinds Customer Portal at http://www.solarwinds.com/customerportal/ and install it on top of your current installation.  There are currently no known issues with running ipMonitor 10.x on a Virtual Machine.

Sincerely,

Chris Foley • SolarWinds • Technical Support

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM EST 866.530.8040

explore our IT management solutions for:

networks|applications|storage|virtualization|log & event

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Fodome

Is I don't have 10.5 on a virtual machine and would like to.  I the installation of 10.6 a clean install or are there 2 installs upgrade and Full

• Hi,

So you want to move and upgrade?  If so, I recommend going through the steps in the following article:

SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: How to migrate from ipMonitor 9 to ipMonitor 10 (move and upgrade)

Simply replace any references to "ipMonitor 9" with "ipMonitor 10.5" and any references to "ipMonitor 10" to "ipMonitor 10.6".

In a nutshell:

1. Copy \ipmonitor\ directory to VM

2. Delete credentials.db

3. Install ipMonitor 10.6 on top

4. Migrate Credentials via Internal Maintenance backup and then restore.

5. Move License.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Chris Foley • SolarWinds • Technical Support

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM EST 866.530.8040

explore our IT management solutions for:

networks|applications|storage|virtualization|log & event

• ...by the way, there is only one installation executable.  It is used for clean installs as well as upgrades.

• JD,

I am running IPMonitor 10.6 in a VM and have been for years with no problems at all (even pre ver 10). Dont know how many monitors you are needing but we currenty use a little over 1000 monitors and i have assigned 1 CPU with 2 GB Ram and all works well. If you plan to keep history for reporting then you need to size your hard disk correctly. With ours we use less than 10 GB of space and keep a years worth or reporting but the polling frequency is key here in my opinion.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to fishermc

Thank you for that.  I have been apprehensive about installing it on  VM now I am not. 

Thank you all for the help given

JD Clements

• I didnt note that we are running it on Server 2003...if you go Server 2008 route you probably need to assign it 4 GB ram instead of 2 GB.