13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 3:15 AM by syn3rgy

Group Alerts - Root Cause: ${GroupStatusRootCause}

syn3rgy

Hi All,

Since I upgraded to 10.3 of NPM and SAM v5 it seems that ${GroupStatusRootCause} no longer works when receiving alerts on groups. When i look through the variables available when I click "insert Variable"  it is still there.

This is my alert:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group <b><font color="red">${GroupName}</font color="red"></b> is <font color="red"><b>${GroupStatusName}</b></font color="red">.

Root Cause: ${GroupStatusRootCause}

Please contact a member of: #Enterprise Team

${AcknowledgeURL}

Alert Name: ${AlertName}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the email i get through:

Group Wireless Access Points is Warning.

Root Cause:

Acknowledge This Alert

Alert Name: Alert me when a group goes into warning or critical state

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Re: Group Alerts - Root Cause: ${GroupStatusRootCause}
            vhcato

Hmmm... Seems to be working for me with just a simple alert I set up on our dev box running 10.3. I would be curious to see what you find for the GroupStatusRootCause field in the database when running the following query:

SELECT *

FROM Containers_AlertsandReportsData

WHERE GroupName = 'Wireless Access Points'

syn3rgy

Hi vhcato,

Thank you for the info.

I think i found out what the problem is.

Basically I have a main group and then a sub group as shown in the below.

groups.JPG

When a server goes into warning in group "19 Hatfield Servers"  I get an alert for the node, i then receive a group alert for "19 Hatfields", this one does NOT contain the Root Cause:, i then receive another group alert for group "19 Hatfields Servers" which does contain the route cause.

Below are alerts:

Node Warning:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Name : LDNIPTRACKER
                IP Address : 192.168.6.70
                Last Boot : 24 June 2012 15:27
                Time Alerted : 02/08/2012 12:37 (GMT)
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Contact Details:

Primary Contact:
                Secondary Contact:
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Alert Name: Alert me when a node goes down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the 19 Hatfields group alert

Group 19 Hatfields is Warning.

Root Cause:

Then the 19 Hatfields Servers group warning:

Group 19 Hatfields Servers is Warning.

Root Cause: LDNIPTRACKER.Practicallaw.com is Down
                LDNIPTRACKER.Practicallaw.com is Down

When i query group "19 Hatfields Servers" the table shows the alert

22233Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60CIRCLECIRCLENodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1691UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
                22333Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNBEX01LDNBEX01NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1701UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
                22433Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNBES02LDNBES02NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1711UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
                22533Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNCTXTS05LDNCTXTS05NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1731UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL

When i query group "19 Hatfields"  the table shows the below

GroupMemberSnapshotIDGroupIDGroupOwnerGroupNameGroupStatusCalculatorIDGroupStatusCalculatorNameGroupStatusIDGroupStatusNameGroupStatusDescriptionGroupFrequencyGroupMemberNameGroupMemberFullNameGroupMemberDisplayNameGroupMemberDisplayNamePluralGroupMemberUriGroupMemberStatusIDGroupMemberStatusNameGroupMemberStatusDescriptionGroupPercentAvailabilityGroupMemberPercentAvailabilityGroupStatusRootCauseNodeID
                27227Core19 Hatfields0Mixed3WarningWarning6019 Hatfields Servers19 Hatfields ServersGroupGroupsswis://./Orion/Orion.Groups/ContainerID=331UpUp100100NULLNULL

I would have thought that the group alert for "19 Hatfields" would show the route cause as being "19 Hatfields servers" and then the Node name?

I hope that makes sense ?

bilel

Hi

a script that can send an sms (message by phone) during an alert
              I do not use and I can not use the software Orion NCM Web Console Is there another solution that allows you to do what I seen

Can you give me more information on Solarwinds Alert Manager (win32 app) on the use of script and receiving sms message by phone thank you

Bilel

syn3rgy

I am still having an issue with this, it seems that it does not always work and only on very rare occasions does it show the root cause in the email. I received some alerst over the weekend and it did not show the root cause

Group 19 Hatfields Servers is Warning.

Root Cause:

Acknowledge This Alert

Maybe someone at Solarwinds can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

syn3rgy

It seems upgrading to NPN v10.3.1 May have resolved this issue.