This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Group Alerts - Root Cause: ${GroupStatusRootCause}

Hi All,

Since I upgraded to 10.3 of NPM and SAM v5 it seems that ${GroupStatusRootCause} no longer works when receiving alerts on groups. When i look through the variables available when I click "insert Variable"  it is still there.

This is my alert:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group <b><font color="red">${GroupName}</font color="red"></b> is <font color="red"><b>${GroupStatusName}</b></font color="red">.

Root Cause: ${GroupStatusRootCause}

Please contact a member of: #Enterprise Team

${AcknowledgeURL}

Alert Name: ${AlertName}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the email i get through:

Group Wireless Access Points is Warning.

Root Cause:

Acknowledge This Alert

Alert Name: Alert me when a group goes into warning or critical state

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Hmmm... Seems to be working for me with just a simple alert I set up on our dev box running 10.3. I would be curious to see what you find for the GroupStatusRootCause field in the database when running the following query:

SELECT *

FROM Containers_AlertsandReportsData

WHERE GroupName = 'Wireless Access Points'

• Hi vhcato,

Thank you for the info.

I think i found out what the problem is.

Basically I have a main group and then a sub group as shown in the below.

groups.JPG

When a server goes into warning in group "19 Hatfield Servers"  I get an alert for the node, i then receive a group alert for "19 Hatfields", this one does NOT contain the Root Cause:, i then receive another group alert for group "19 Hatfields Servers" which does contain the route cause.

Below are alerts:

Node Warning:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Name : LDNIPTRACKER
    IP Address : 192.168.6.70
    Last Boot : 24 June 2012 15:27
    Time Alerted : 02/08/2012 12:37 (GMT)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Contact Details:

Primary Contact:
    Secondary Contact:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Alert Name: Alert me when a node goes down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the 19 Hatfields group alert

Group 19 Hatfields is Warning.

Root Cause:

Then the 19 Hatfields Servers group warning:

Group 19 Hatfields Servers is Warning.

Root Cause: LDNIPTRACKER.Practicallaw.com is Down
    LDNIPTRACKER.Practicallaw.com is Down

When i query group "19 Hatfields Servers" the table shows the alert

22233Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60CIRCLECIRCLENodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1691UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
    22333Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNBEX01LDNBEX01NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1701UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
    22433Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNBES02LDNBES02NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1711UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL
    22533Core19   Servers0Mixed3WarningWarning60LDNCTXTS05LDNCTXTS05NodeNodesswis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1731UpUp100100LDNIPTRACKER   is DownNULL

When i query group "19 Hatfields"  the table shows the below

GroupMemberSnapshotIDGroupIDGroupOwnerGroupNameGroupStatusCalculatorIDGroupStatusCalculatorNameGroupStatusIDGroupStatusNameGroupStatusDescriptionGroupFrequencyGroupMemberNameGroupMemberFullNameGroupMemberDisplayNameGroupMemberDisplayNamePluralGroupMemberUriGroupMemberStatusIDGroupMemberStatusNameGroupMemberStatusDescriptionGroupPercentAvailabilityGroupMemberPercentAvailabilityGroupStatusRootCauseNodeID
    27227Core19 Hatfields0Mixed3WarningWarning6019 Hatfields Servers19 Hatfields ServersGroupGroupsswis://./Orion/Orion.Groups/ContainerID=331UpUp100100NULLNULL

I would have thought that the group alert for "19 Hatfields" would show the route cause as being "19 Hatfields servers" and then the Node name?

I hope that makes sense ?

• Well now, isn't that spiffy... emoticons_wink.png

I don't know much about these new fangled group thingies they've put in here. We're still running 9.1 SP5 and working towards upgrading, so I'm poking around in 10.3 on our dev box to re-code our custom web resources to be ASP.net friendly. emoticons_sad.png  Been somewhat out of the loop on new features and their associated ins and outs.

vc

• I wonder if anyone from Solarwinds can comment on top level group alert when a node from a sub group goes into warning.

Good luck in your upgrade vhcato, must say, v10.4 when it comes out will have quite a few new bits in it.

• Hi

a script that can send an sms (message by phone) during an alert
    I do not use and I can not use the software Orion NCM Web Console Is there another solution that allows you to do what I seen

Can you give me more information on Solarwinds Alert Manager (win32 app) on the use of script and receiving sms message by phone thank you

Bilel

• Hi bilel,

It may be worth starting a new thread as your questions deviates from the original post of this thread.

Thank you

• bilel,

I have answered you on this same question here.  Please keep your questions limited to a single thread.

Thank you,

Danielle

• I am still having an issue with this, it seems that it does not always work and only on very rare occasions does it show the root cause in the email. I received some alerst over the weekend and it did not show the root cause

Group 19 Hatfields Servers is Warning.

Root Cause:

Acknowledge This Alert

Maybe someone at Solarwinds can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Hi syn3rgy,

our engineering team will take a look on this.

thanks Michal