6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 2:29 PM by cahunt

Top 10 Errors and discards - view with errors only

kaorlo

Hello,

In NPM there are predefined 'Top XX Errors and discards today/last hour" view.

How to create view with errors only? Is it even possible?

Thank you and kind regards,

• Re: Top 10 Errors and discards - view with errors only
          kaorlo

I've tried to use Universal Device Pollers (for Cisco Devices), but it works only per node (summary).

royalefj

Solarwinds really needs to break TOP XX ERRORS only as a new resources.

Errors are ALWAYS BAD in volume and must be eiminated.

Discards are a normal occurrence in many situations. They are not an "issue", however our top 25 is filled with discards.  Meanwhile we have servers with 100,000s of physical errors that we don't know about.  ASA report every dropped/denied packet as a ethernet discard, something I believe is utter nonsense by Cisco. This was a denial by the firewall "application", not by ethernet. If my Windows OS ignores multicast packets because they aren't for it, it isn't a discard.  If flow control between the NIC and switch are working, the NIC can back the switch off from flooding heavy traffic, causing discards on the switch port.  While this is a sign the device may be overloaded, it isn't a "network" issue but a server/app capacity issue.  We're seeing massive discards on our ESX trunks, we think because the switches weren't configured with portfast trunk.  The Lab ESX, rebooted constantly has far more discards than all the production esxes combined, yet does the least and has the lowest traffic.  We think this is due to STP blocking upon resets.  We even have a Cisco 3750 that randomly reports counter rollovers as 4 billion discards.  We've tried many things to fix it, but everyday we have dozens of interfaces with 4,8,12 billion discards.  Even after eliminating them (by NOT monitoring at all), we're left with useless ASA discards.

I was just trying to see if there was another way to develop a top 10 error resource for the home page, but apparently not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              royalefj

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1568

I created a resource idea/request for such a thing.  You can vote on it to show interest.

RichardLetts

Create a report and embed that as a resource?

I've uploaded a top 25 errors report here: Top 25 Errors This Hour report

it's a custom SQL report, so if you want to modify it you'll have to understand (minimal)  transact-SQL. If you need custom time ranges then you'll have to join to the InterfacesErrors_Detail table and do your own aggregation.

Note: if you want to learn SQL, and I think it's a good idea if you're working at all with any network management platform, then I recommend the SQL for Dummies book. It's clearly laid out and doesn't meander off into much vendor-specific SQL

/RjL

John King

I found this elsewhere on the forum but can't find it again and want to make sure I can find this later.

I put in an SQL filter on the resource as appropriate. You can set the values to whatever threshold you want and this disregards the discards value when sorting, though it will still show them.

Top XX errors for Today filter

(InErrorsToday > 250) OR (OutErrorsToday > 250)

Top XX errors for Hour filter

(InErrorsThisHour > 250) OR (OutErrorsThisHour > 250)

cahunt

Use In/OutErrorsToday  or In/OutErrorsThisHour

There seem to be several listings on this item. You can start here; Help editing Top XX errors and discards today...please.

And if you need more in depth information and idea's regarding the subject move on to : Re: Interface Errors

Cheers!