This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Does anyone have an Appflow setup for Citrix NetScaler that works?

I have been working my way through the AppFlow setup for NetScaler (I use the VM appliance) - the directions so far aren't very helpful - I'm hoping for useful examples of entries into the NetScaler AppFlow configuration section of the management interface. I was hoping for an example that would definately generate AppFlow messages to the NTA so I can verify operation, then something that would setup a useful flow of information.Thanks in advance!

• tonyldse, NTA does not have support for receiving AppFlow data yet. Our Real-time AppFlow Analyzer free tool does support receiving these flows, but can only store 1 hour or 4 GB of data (whichever comes first). We are still judging the market demand for this new flow record type before we can add it to the NTA product.

That being said, yes, I was able to configure the NetScaler virtual appliance to send AppFlow data and for it to be read by the free tool. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to provide any assistance I can. If you don't have the free tool, using Wireshark is a good way to quickly verify if the messages are being sent by the NetScaler. A few things to check when working with the free tool; make sure the template timeout is set to 60 seconds, the port the NetScaler is exporting on.

Mav

• Thanks Mav – I’ll try the free tool when I have a chance – I still don’t see how to program the NetScaler to do useful output – way too complicated!

I’ll let you know if I need further assistance – thanks for the reply.

Tony Lupica

Sr. Network Administrator

• Having the ability to parse Netscaler appflow/netflow/ipfix data in NTA would be massive for us. We see Netscaler as a big product going forward. Admittedly we use a lot of Citrix products for the delivery of our desktops/apps/network services, but we see Netscaler as being a central component of SDN, so having visibility of what's going on in the virtual networks is key.

I see you have added support for F5 in NPM, Please please add support for Netscaler in NPM and NTA.

Thanks,

James

• Hi,

I posted instructions on a basic NetScaler configuration for SolarWinds NTA:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/187269#187269

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Joe

• This may not be the solution you are looking for. But I spoke with Citrix today and they have a free VM that you can download and run as your collector for APPFLOW data. Would be nice if NTA could work with this so that you can limit the number of solutions you have to support.