14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 3:48 AM by crishna

Active response tool

crishna

How does it works...  ive enabled the tool on one of the servers ... where does it store the log file  i mean in which directory ???????

• Re: Active response tool
          nicole pauls

Any time an active response is initiated, events will be generated and stored on the appliance. If you search for InternalCommands alerts in nDepth (or with a filter) or use the "SolarWinds Actions Report" you should be able to find anything an active response connector has done.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            crishna

i'm  having problem with this( append txt file )  rule  when trying to create a rule for a particular alert  i'm trying to write detection time to the txt  but its not allowing me to do that its saying incompatible parameter

any help ???

nicole pauls

That message is a warning - it is possible the rule and action will fire even though it's there. (It's also possible the rule will fire but the action will fail, but I haven't reproduced this myself to be sure one way or the other.)

What I'd do:

1. Use an email or other action to confirm the rule is in fact firing as expected, before adding the append to text file action.
                2. If the rule is firing with another action (i.e. rule is correct), add the append to text file action, making sure the Agent value is a valid agent name (or the InsertionIP field from the alert, if you want it to go where the event was originally generated).
                3. If the rule doesn't fire at all with the Append to Text, or if nothing is written to the text file:
                  1. Make sure the agent is correct - it needs to match the name of an agent in the Manage>Nodes area. If you want it to be written on the node that detected the original event, use InsertionIP.
                  2. Make sure the file path is correct.
                  3. Try using a different field for the Text rather than DetectionTime - test with something like EventInfo to see if it is written.

If you never see data in the text file even after doing those things, chances are something else is wrong. You may need to open a support case to get this diagnosed faster.

crishna

Thanks nicole for replying

1. i cant use email  because there is no mail sever in my network

2 i've doubled checked it it the appropriate parameter

3 i've use rest of the categories like eventinfo , etc... they are working  but when i tried detection time .. it says incompatible parameter??

crishna

ive raised a case for this today .. they said they gonna send this issue to the development team, but they have gave me a timeline for it ?? can you push this forward

Thanks in advance

nicole pauls

Can you post the case #?

crishna

Case #376824

Hi Krishna,

I have submitted this feature request to our development team. They will consider the request, and decide whether it will be implemented.

You may also post your request to the Thwack forum for the SolarWinds product you wish to see improved. Thwack forums are here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/forums/ Create a post titled “FEATURE REQUEST - Name of the Feature Request” and detail your request including case number. These forums are monitored by our Product Managers. This will allow other customers to voice their opinions as to whether they would find the feature useful.

Please be aware that:

* Developers will decide on whether or not to go ahead with implementation of the feature

* Developers will decide on the timeline of the release (if they decided to implement the feature)

* Support does not update you on whether the feature has been implemented, and you will have to check the Release Notes: http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/documentation.aspx

If you have any other questions or issues, feel free to contact us at Solarwinds Support: http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket/

Cheers,

Ginno

nicole pauls

Have you ignored the warning, saved anyway, and verified it does not work, or are you just reporting the warning? The warning is just a warning, but I cannot say for sure what effect that has. Before I check, I want to be clear what you're experiencing.

nicole pauls

We have confirmed this active response works fine - if you ignore the warning (and everything else is properly configured) DetectionTime will be written to the specified file. Make sure that you have the "Append Text to File" active response configured on the system you want to use it on, double check the rule and the response (ignore the mismatch warning), and all should be well. Support should also be following up.

crishna

can somebody shed some light on it pleaseeeeeee ???? this is very essential thing  for me to implement on my project