5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 9:56 AM by cmgurley

Storage Chargeback, yes? no? why?

Fabio Rapposelli

Data growth is rising year over year and storage companies are fighting each other for the marketshare by providing their own "secret-sauce" to manage this growth.

Charging for storage internally is a long time debate, sometimes IT managers are dubious, sometimes the internal politics simply wouldn't allow such thing to exist and sometimes is quite the opposite, where each line of business has a separate tenant inside the IT infra charged for everything they use (not just storage resources).

Do you charge back storage to your internal customers? or maybe just show back? if you're not, did somebody block these kind of things from happening?

• Re: Storage Chargeback, yes? no? why?
          cmgurley

We do not charge back storage (or any other resource) to our internal customers. For the most part, our storage supports our product (we're an SaaS/ASP), so departmental allocations are mostly minor/inconsequential. Occasionally an element of the development process asks for too much (in our opinion), but the politics of trying to tell them how to do their job better (more efficiently) is either a lost cause or not worth the minor storage investment/allotment to fight it.

Fabio Rapposelli

cmgurley wrote:

Occasionally an element of the development process asks for too much (in our opinion), but the politics of trying to tell them how to do their job better (more efficiently) is either a lost cause or not worth the minor storage investment/allotment to fight it.

Your raised an interesting point, asking "too much" has become the norm in the virtualized world, both for storage and computing resources, and letting this practice go for too long creates a great deal of troubles when the consolidation ratios expected are not matched and new investments need to be made, I usually find useful to ask for a technical justification for such requests and 9 times out of 10 the asker steps back because he has none

byrona

We are in a very similar position to Chris as an IaaS.  We use a small amount of storage for our internal infrastructure compared to the amount of storage we manage for customers.  The storage that we provide to customers we charge for on a per GB basis.

mdriskell

At my previous employer we monitored every site within the organization.  We were the only 24/7 unit within the company.  We charged each site a very small portion of what we charge clients for their services and internal billing was the norm (although the parent company was primarily accounting which is probably why we had this model).  I could see very easily charging the business unit for storage or any number of things.  My current organization that concept does not exist.