This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create alert based on Node group and Volume Space used.

FormerMember
FormerMember

I've grouped a set of nodes on which I'm monitoring several volumes. I'd like to create an alert that sends an email if the volumes filled up but only if the nodes are a member of a particular group. It seems like "type of property to monitor" is restricted to only "Volume" or "Group". I can't use them both to build a rule? Anyone have any suggestions or maybe another way to do this?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Capture.PNG

This is what I'm trying to do.. obviously I'm not doing it right or this type of thing cannot be done. Also 95% would be changed to 90.

• You will not be able to change the Type of Property to Monitor once you select any Trigger in the Trigger Alert Field. If you do happen to change the Type of Property while Alert Conditions are set, the Alert will break and not function.

What you will need to do is Group the Nodes by using Custom Properties, then when you create the Alert, set the Type of Property to monitor to Volumes and set the Volume Percent Used, the Volume Type, then set the last Condition to the Custom Property Name and then Enter the Group Name.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to sean.martinez

This works. Any idea why you couldn't simply select different property types? Seems awfully limiting.

• This is all based upon the SQL Back-end and the views that we have setup and inner joined. You can always change the Type of Property to Custom SQL and use a SQL statement if you want to create any Alert based upon information available in the Database.

• I'm trying to do the same thing and technically we aren't trying to change the type of property monitored, we are simply trying to filter the results by group membership.

• Can you provide some more information on how to create Custom Properties?  Also, I agree with the previous post. The alerts are actually very limiting, I've spend a great deal of time trying to customize the alerts to fit our environment. From my experience the Advanced Alert Manager is the most poorly designed product from Solarwinds.  To me it should be the most important piece of software, what good is all this information if we don't have something to notify us about it? It seems to me that there must be a better way to be able to manage these alerts. 

• I was able to figure out the Custom Properties.  Thanks.