5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 1:47 PM by familyofcrowes

Are you using SolarWinds products in your NOC?

Andy McBride

I am looking into some of the best practices for our products in a NOC environment. This can include ideas about displays, interaction with desktop tool or any other ways you use SWI products in the NOC.

Feel free to post back here or email me for a more private discussion of your solutions.

Thanks! - Andy

andy.mcbride@solarwinds.com

• Re: Are you using SolarWinds products in your NOC?
          familyofcrowes

We use 60 inch monitors to display a "NOC Dashboard" "OPS" dashboard and a "Tier II" dashboard among others .  We display events filtered to thier needs as well as some specific resources.  All NOC engineers have the toolset on thier laptops and use the Orion integration.  This is an ever changing environment and we are trying to develop a custom resource that will show our Remedy tick information along with down or problem items.

I was reading about an RSS feed that is requested, that would be great for us on our large screens.  Other teams would get alot out of that since they have there own screens that do not have room for Orion.

Our biggest problem is communication with alerts and our ticketing system.  We integrated via emails, but its hard to tell if a ticket was open on a down or problem item...

byrona

In our NOC we have 60 inch displays as well 4 of which are dedicated to Orion views.  We have one that focuses on alerts, one that is our Cloud Dashboard view, one that is an application summary and the last one is a map of our colocation facility that monitors temperature of each cabinet.

The general idea is we use the displays for a high level view of the overall health of things.  The NOC Techs also have desktop systems where they have access to Orion to investigate and handle issues as necessary.

All of our alerts are configured to open tickets in our ticketing system for handling and tracking which is also a function of our NOC Team.

familyofcrowes

Question for you Byrona,  You have a similar setup as we do.  We currently only alert/open tickets on APM/SAM alerts.  We will start with all the network very soon, but my issue is duplicate tickets.  A site may go up and down 20 times in a day because of LEC issues, how do you prevent the duplicates....

I'm sure there is a good way, I'm just drawing a blank....

Thanks

byrona

Well, my solution for that is much less elegant than I think you are giving me credit for. 

We are somewhat selective about what we generate alerts/tickets on.  For example; we only create tickets on a few select interfaces going down, for the most part interfaces going down doesn't' constitute a ticket.

As much as I try and minimize duplicate tickets, I still get them; I think it's the nature of the business.  In our ticketing system I have the NOC techs link all of the duplicates to the original and close them.

familyofcrowes

We are very alike then, but I alert on all MPLS, and DMVPN circuits/tunnels (over 250).  Plus any down device or excessive errors.  All time clocks, Riverbed issues, VoIP/QOS critical queue drops, APC battery issues, and many more....

We generate over 200 tickets per day, and since its manual, automating the tickets would be a big help with time and we wouldn't miss things....

I guess we will call duplicates, job security  :-)