1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2012 9:23 AM by Discoman

License Manager Software Won't Install

Discoman

I am migrating my Orion NPM server to a new virtual machine.  I've been able to install the NPM software and reconnect to my database, but I can't get license manager to install.  It stops almost immediately with the message "Application cannot be started.  Contact the application vendor."  My server is 2008 R2 and I am logged on as an administrator.  I've tried running the installer with admin privileges, but that has not fixed the issue.  I connect to the internet through a proxy server, and have configured that in my Internet options.  The detailed error message is below:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows             : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.1

System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES

Deployment url            : file:///C:/Windows/Temp/LicManOffline/LicenseManager.application

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of C:\Windows\Temp\LicManOffline\LicenseManager.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS

There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

* [7/12/2012 9:44:53 AM] : Activation of C:\Windows\Temp\LicManOffline\LicenseManager.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS

Following errors were detected during this operation.

* [7/12/2012 9:44:53 AM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException

- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

- Source: System.Deployment

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS

No transaction information is available.

Thanks!

• Re: License Manager Software Won't Install
          Discoman

I was able to work around this problem by going to C:\Windows\Temp\LicManOffline\Application Files\LicenseManager_2_0_0_732 and running the licensemanager executable.

I am guessing that the application is failing when it tries to check for updates and isn't able to connect to the internet because it doesn't know about the proxy or there is some security setting blocking it.  Running the executable above, seems to bypass the update check.