5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 9:03 AM by byrona

Do you keep your SAN fabric healthy and clean?

Fabio Rapposelli

I recently performed a revamp of a moderately large SAN fabric, during the re-design phase I was struck by the quantity of zoning leftovers, domain ID misconfigurations, sub-optimal ISLs and the likes.

The customer wasn't impressed by my list of things to be fixed, resorting to the old golden rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but while I generally agree with that I found myself in a clutter so deep that literally demanded for a cleanup.

My view is that SAN fabrics are a "set it and forget it" kind of thing for many, what's your stance on this? Do you like to keep your SAN healthy and clean?

• Re: Do you keep your SAN fabric healthy and clean?
          byrona

While I can't comment directly on the SAn fabric issue as we use NetApp and NFS and therefore don't have a SAN fabric, I think it relates to a larger issue.  You have two types of people in general; those that will "set it and forget it" and those that are very meticulous always making sure everything is clean and no garbage is left behind in their systems.  As best I can tell the meticulous types are less common, at least where I work and being one of them is very frustrating because you end up going behind and cleaning up after other people.

As an example:  I am the primary person responsible for our Orion system; however, many other people here have the ability to add/change/remove things.  Keeping the system clean something I spend at least an hour a week doing.

Fabio Rapposelli

byrona wrote:

While I can't comment directly on the SAn fabric issue as we use NetApp and NFS and therefore don't have a SAN fabric, I think it relates to a larger issue.  You have two types of people in general; those that will "set it and forget it" and those that are very meticulous always making sure everything is clean and no garbage is left behind in their systems.  As best I can tell the meticulous types are less common, at least where I work and being one of them is very frustrating because you end up going behind and cleaning up after other people.

Interesting point, inconsistency in these kind of tools can be cumbersome to manage if you're the only that cares about keeping the system clean, I guess that this is the point where you start enforcing best practices to other users :-)

Deltona

Always! Even if it means I have to shut down a third of the datacenter in order to do it.

I am (i'd like to think) the meticulous type and so many times I consider myself to be "The Janitor"