This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storage Manager not functioning properly

Hi,

We have a VMware environment with vCenter. I wanted to monitor the environment with Storage manager but from the 4 cluster in vCenter it only monitor 1 cluster.

Does read the EMC SAN storage and the Brocade Fiber channels arent monitored. Also the 10 ESX host thay are only for Citrix PVS cant be monitored.

All these device have the right credentials and SNMP settings. With an other tool (The Dude) i use, i can see more on the Fire Channels then with the Storage Manager.

I use the Solarwinds VM Monitor it does show more things (Mem usage en CPU ...)  !

Maybe this is because of the TRAIL version i use?

• pbohlken-

I am not sure what issues you are having as far as what data you are and are not getting back from the vCenter.  With Storage Manager (trial version or not), we are able to monitor virtual environments via the vCenter, getting data on the VC itself, clusters, datastores, ESX hosts, and virtual machines.  You can also monitor standalone ESX hosts or the virtual machines individually.

I would check the permissions of the user whose credentials were supplied to Storage Manager when adding the virtual center initially.  Make sure it has at least read-only admin rights as well as the 'datastore.browse' privilege granted (within vSphere).  I want to reiterate that there should be no difference in the monitoring capabilities between the trial version and a fully licensed version.

If you are still having issues, though, please engage your sales rep and they can have a sales engineer reach out to assist.

Thanks

• Hi Garret,

The problem is that it only did 1 cluster and not 5 clusters. Also i have 10 ESX host that are not in vCenter environment. From these host i didnt get any info what VM are running and so on.

I have also tested VM Monitor and VM Console. These gave me more info what was going on a ESX host.

I tried to configure it for some time and decided to uninstalled. ESX host stayed as unregistered and didnt show any info. With the EMC Clarion clarion the same. I used the nasadmin user with the right credentials -> No info was shown what so ever.

Now im using vOPS. To install and configure this took me less then 30 minutes. It automatically discoverd ALL ESX host and saw ALL SAN luns.

This gives me now some nice reports on VM usage and IOPS per LUN.

Thank you for responding.

Regards, Peter

Van: Garrett Gross

Verzonden: donderdag 5 juli 2012 21:46

Aan: Bohlken P.

Onderwerp: Re: - Storage Manager not functioning properly

thwack<thwack.solarwinds.com/index.jspa>

created by Garrett Gross<thwack.solarwinds.com/.../garrett.gross> in General Storage - View the full discussion<thwack.solarwinds.com/.../175538

• Peter

What problem are you trying to solve?

We have another product Virtualization Manager that takes a deep dive on VMware and is better than vCOPS in many ways (and cheaper).

It is a virtual appliance and easier to configure than Storage Manager.

I suggest you give it a try before you make a decision.

Brian

• Hi Brian,

The configuration of the vcenter part is straight forward but after it did put in the credential, it only gathered data and show me graphics of 1 cluster and not all the 4 cluster that are in vcenter.

Also it did nothing with the 10 ESXi hosts i added.

With EMC Clarion i only put in the ip address and credentials of nasadmin other fields i left blank hoping that it could already gather info. It did not. Didnt see any LUN.

I will look into it after my holydays. Also because i first want to play with vOps. With is an appliance, so i think your right about that is easier to configure.

Regards, Peter

Van: bmrad

Verzonden: vrijdag 6 juli 2012 16:30

Aan: Bohlken P.

Onderwerp: Re: - Storage Manager not functioning properly

thwack<thwack.solarwinds.com/index.jspa>

created by bmrad<thwack.solarwinds.com/.../bmrad> in General Storage - View the full discussion<thwack.solarwinds.com/.../175633