8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2012 3:51 PM by strict

Troubleshooting and installation error

strict

I just created and published a 3P package.  I found a computer where the status was properly listed as Not Installed.  I used  Update Management to 'push' the download and install.  The download succeeded, and the install failed.  How do I troubleshoot this?  I am looking for a list of places to go and logs to check to find clues as to why the installation failure happened.  From the PM GUI the error says:

Details: Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643

Nearly not as detailed enough as I need to figure out what happened.

Thanks for the help!

-mark

• Re: Troubleshooting and installation error
          phil3

What program are you trying to install? This is a Microsoft error code, and I have found several different procedures to address it depending on what you're installing.

strict

The program is not a Microsoft one, its Newforma Project Center.  I have also found that error a lot, seems pretty generic unfortunately.

Lawrence Garvin

The 0x0643 error code is a generic MSI failure code -- it means "the installation failed". Why it failed is the key question.

There are two approaches you should take:

First, run the installer from the CLI of the client system using exactly the same command line parameters you specified in the package, and observe the results. Sometimes, the command line parameters in the package are incorrect causing the failure when installed via the WUAgent.

Second thing to do is enabled MSI logging, and get a detailed log trace of what exactly did happen during the installation process. You can enable MSI logging via the Check and Manage Computer Connectivity tool in Patch Manager.

strict

very cool, thank you!  the command line install works as expected, so we should be good there.  i didnt know if i had already enabled MSI logging so i found this MS KB How to enable Windows Installer logging and confirmed the MSI logging was not enabled.  i ran the 'check and manage computer connectivity' tool, unchecked the grayed out 'Enable MSI Logging' check box, then rechecked that check box, and ran it.  after the task completed i went back to that reg key as instructed in the MS KB and confirmed logging had been enabled.  I ran the deployment again, and it failed again.  during the deployment i monitored the c:\windows\temp directory and found it did install two prerequisites bundled with that software (ms c++ redistributables), then i saw it unpack the install file to that directory and very quickly that file disappears and PM immediately reported the install as failed.  an MSI log file for the ms c++ redistributables are in windows\temp, not no others.  the MS KB article indicates MSI logs to into the users temp directory.  i checked all the user temp directories and didnt find anything.  when PM installs a program, where do the MSI log files go?  thanks again!

Lawrence Garvin

Sounds like you might have to customize that installer. The Windows Update Agent is not going to have access to anything except the local installer folder. If the product installer is dumping those C++ redist installers someplace else for execution, that would cause a failure.

If you can extract those redistributables, you can use PackageBoot in a <preexecution><programs><program> element to install each of them (and include the relevant MSIs in the Additional Files).

Or, you can define PreRequiste Rule logic on the Newforma package to require those C++ runtimes to already exist, and install the C++ runtimes through some other mechanism  - perhaps a completely separate package.