This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Free SCP/SFTP Tool - Installation issues.

FormerMember
FormerMember

I have just downloaded SolarWinds Free SCP/SFTP Tool and attempts to install on a
Windows 2003 sp2 server fails after entering the licencing agreement
acceptance.

The message:-

Error writting to file : SolarWinds.Sftp.shared.dll

Verify have access to that directory.
I thought it should be creating that directory during installation??

I do not see anything being created in Program files.

Is there a conflict with Windows version? I cannot find any installation
details on the SolarWinds website.
Would appreciate your help.

Many thanks

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcbridea

Thank you for your reply, I was logged in as a user initially and it complained then that I needed to be Administrator.

Logged in as Administrator and it was then I encountered this error....

• FormerMember

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for you response, but I tried as a user initially, but it complained that I was not administrator etc. so logged in as admin and get the error.

Just installed another version of SFTP as a test successfully therefore suggesting that I am in admin.

My preferred option is to use SolarWinds as we have been using it for other servers.

Any clues?

Many thanks

Dave

• I'm not sure exactly what may be causing that. I'll see if the dev dude can chime in.

• FormerMember

Okay, so in my ignorance… dev dude is? Relaxed

• FormerMember

Just a thought, do you(or anyone else) know if there is an .exe install file available? Instead of the .msi…..

• Hi folks,

Sorry for my late reply.

I have some advice if you are still stuck...

Have you any other SW products installed on the same server?

If you do not and it is just the free tool then make sure this free tool is completely uninstalled in both control panel and registry.

Take a backup of the registry and do a search for keyword such as solarwinds or sftp or scp

deleting any keys that belong to solarwinds.

Clear out the windows temp files and anything else that may have been cached locally on your server.

Then log on as local admin, right click on the .exe and run as administrator,

Make sure no enviromental security software is blocking the install (Use sysinternals Procman or something if you are unsure)

Also make sure the dreaded Windows User Account Control (UAC) is turned off.

Only other thing I can think of if you get the same error, is to try and register the .dll but where it is located on the free tool i am not sure about and would need to test on my own before i could advise. See Regsvr32 - Register a DLL for more.

Best of luck to all who encounters such an issue.

All else fails, try a reboot! emoticons_laugh.png

Best Regards,

Harry Griffiths

Solarwinds Technical Support Representative

NPM, NCM, EOC, FOE and Mobile Admin Tech Support

EMEA - Mon - Fri - 10AM to 7PM GMT+1

• I know this is an old thread but I just ran into this problem myself.  The solution was to run Windows Update and install the updates available.  I think it was probably the .NET that actually fixed the problem but there were 6 updates I ran and then it installed fine.