3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 2:07 PM by SolarWinds Community Team

Authorization error when connecting to WSUS server

SolarWinds Community Team

I have installed EminentWare on the same server that WSUS runs on (WSUS 3 SP2) and I'm getting an error connecting to WSUS.

Message: Exception occured at 5/12/2011 9:40:34 AM: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. WSUSConnection::Unable to connect to the WSUS Server (servername) using the account: <my domain admin account> The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

I've also tried adding my user to the local group WSUS Administrators and using the local administrator account for authorization. The error message is the same.

The normal WSUS console connects with no problems.

• Re: Authorization error when connecting to WSUS server
          SolarWinds Community Team

If the WSUS and Extension Pack are running on Windows Server 2008, this is an expected condition. It is due to the interaction of UAC with the authentication process.

1. To faciliate WSUS_only connections from the Extension Pack, some customers have observed success by placing the domain account in the WSUS Administrators group. However, this will not provide authentication for services accessed via WMI.

2. For any services/features accessed via WMI (e.g. Computer Explorer, Managed Computer Inventory), those tasks will require authentication using the local Administrator account.

3. Alternatively -- but of course, not recommended -- you can disable UAC on the WSUS/ExtPack server.

If you are still getting '401' errors with the domain account in WSUS Administrators as well as with the local Administrator account, this suggests an issue with the configuration of IIS, as the local Administrator account most certainly should be able to successfully authenticate. A relevant test is whether the WSUS native console can be connected when logged on with any of these accounts.

Please email your availability so we can set up a GoToMeeting session and investigate further.