1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 1:02 PM by Lawrence Garvin

WUA 7.4

SolarWinds Community Team

Today I got some clarification direct from the source concerning improvements in the handling of duplicate SusClientIDs in the v7.4 (WSUS3SP2) Windows Update Agent.

A new feature in the WUAgent v7.4 uses “hardware validation” to determine if a SusClientID contained in a machine is a duplicate of one already in the WSUS database. If it is, it autogenerates a new SusClientID. This feature executes at Service Startup.

The WSUS3SP2 Deployment Guide introduced this concept of “hardware validation” in the new chart in the Client Requirements section, but it didn’t get documented anywhere else, although I’ve now learned that the line in the Release Notes that says “Imaged machines will be more clearly displayed in the WSUS console“ really means . . . “We fixed the bug and now your imaged machines will simply appear without any additional remediation steps necessary.”

Additionally, there was a question as to why the chart stated it would only apply to physical machines when I had actually observed a VM perform this “hardware validation” step to reset a SusClientID. The Hardware Validation does apply to VMs; the chart is incorrect. An update to the chart in the Deployment Guide is in the works; in the meantime I’ve added Community Content to clarify based on what I was told today by a WUAgent Program Manager responsible for this functionality.

This functionally is dependent on certain systemboard capabilities that might not be present in legacy systemboards. What actually constitutes a “legacy systemboard” is not yet identified to me, but the question is being researched, and when I have the answer I’ll share it. The good news is that Virtual Machines do not have this “legacy systemboard deficiency”, and VMs will auto-generate a new SusClientID. I’ve not yet empirically verified this functionality, however; that’s on my agenda for early next week.

You can preemptively update your WUAgent to v7.4, even without WSUS3SP2 deployed, by downloading and installing the new WUAgent from the Microsoft Download Center. See KB949104 for details or download from these links: WUA v7.4 x86 | WUA v7.4 x64 | WUA v7.4 ia64

• Re: WUA 7.4
          Lawrence Garvin

Since the above blog post was originally written in October, 2009, a few things have changed that should be made note of.

First, the WSUS documentation was completely rewritten in July, 2011, so while the link to the Client Requirements still works, that is no longer the actual content found in the Deployment Guide. The incorrect chart was removed, but no replacement chart was ever put back.

Despite the intent of the feature, empirical observation over the past almost-three-years, has shown that the feature doesn't really work. It's been eons since I've seen an automatic regeneration of a SusClientID from a hardware detection -- and yet, every day, the community continues to be plagued by the existence of duplicate SusClientIDs. The correct remediation for this issue is documented in KB903262.

And finally, while the links above for the WUAgent v7.4 do still work (for some time, at least), KB949104 has now been updated to reflect the recent release of the WUAgent v7.6.7600.226 -- which implements the new hardened features of WU/MU/WSUS. Note, also, that the WUAgent v7.6.7600.226 only works with the latest version of WSUS v3 SP2 (v3.2.7600.251). To update your WSUS server to v3.2.7600.251, you'll need to install the update in KB2720211.

Other notes of trivial import:

• The WUAgent v7.4 only works with WSUS v3 SP2 (v3.2.7600.226)
          • On Win7SP1 and Win2008R2SP1 systems, you'll find a WUAgent v7.5, which only works with WSUS v3 SP2 (v3.2.7600.226).
          • There's also an earlier build of a v7.6 WUAgent, designed to fix an issue in the v7.5 WUAgent regarding downloading of large CAB files -- that version of the WUAgent also only works with v3.2.7600.226 of WSUS.

Also, please note, this update can be rather persnikety, so as was also the case with installing WSUS Service Packs, please review the associated KB article, and the known issues. Backup the WSUS server and run the Server Cleanup Wizard before installing KB2720211. Finally, for best results -- install KB2720211 from the download center -- don't approve it as a WSUS update.