3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 10:05 AM by Lawrence Garvin

Problem with package

strict

I have created a very small and simple package.  Single exe file.  No prerequisite rules, one applicability rule and one installed rule. 

The applicability rule:

NOT File Exists: Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\DELL\CCTK\wol_enable_20120621.log Common Path= Version= Size=0 Modified Date=N/A Creation Date=N/A Language=Language Neutral

The installed rule:

File Exists: Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\DELL\CCTK\wol_enable_20120621.log Common Path= Version= Size=0 Modified Date=N/A Creation Date=N/A Language=Language Neutral

I have one computer where this file exists.  That one computer is reporting 'Not Applicable' as opposed to 'Installed'.  I have many computers reporting 'Not Applicable' and a few reporting 'Not Installed'.  The difference between some of these computers is absoulty nothing.  They all should be reporting 'Not Installed' except for that one. 

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

-mark

• Re: Problem with package
          Lawrence Garvin

To reference files in the Program Files (x86) folder on an x64 system:

1. Define the common path = PROGRAM_FILES

2. Reference the folder through parent pathing, e.g. ..\Program Files (x86)\DELL\CCTK\...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              strict

Maybe i dont understand how the common path is working?  When batch scripting in windows 7 64bit there are two system variables for program files:

%programfiles% = c:\program files\

%programfiles(x86)% = c:\program files (x86)\

because i only saw PROGRAM_FILES in common path i assumed it equaled %programfiles% and thus pointed to c:\program files\.  Because i wanted to go to the c:\program files (x86)\ directory i assumed the common path line didnt have an option for me so i used NONE, and just used the full path. 

Not sure how common path is supposed to reference the two system variables above?

-mark

Lawrence Garvin

The ProgramFiles(x86) common path identifier is not defined in the Microsoft SDP schema.

Only ProgramFiles is defined, so this is the one you must use, and then parent-path to get to ..\Program Files (x86).

Set commonPath = PROGRAM_FILES

Set path = ..\Program Files (x86)\yourApplicationFilePath

The reason you want to use commonPath in this way is because hardcoding the path at the root of C: then assumes that %ProgramFiles% is always on drive C:. It might not be, and your package would fail detection. By using the commonPath value in this way, your package is portable for when %ProgramFiles% exists on a different volumeID. (e.g. drive D:)