This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Setting trigger on advanced alert for hrSystemUptime using custom poller type

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the recommended method for triggering an alert for hrSystemUptime?

I'm a newbie to Solarwinds. We have NPM v9.5.1.

I've looked at the feature requestBetter Method of Calculating Uptime for tips.

I've sorted

1. configuring a custom universal poller (called hrSystemUptime which uses the hrSystemUptime MIB), assigned it to a network device (called testSLESVM), tested that it was able to communicate with the network device using the test button inside the assign wizard in the custom universal poller program, [so far so good, I know my testSLESVM has net-snmp and its responding to poll]

2. I've then tried to configure an alert in the advanced alert manager program with these settings:

On the trigger page setting the following simple conditions:

• PollerName equals hrSystemUptime
  • Nodename equals testSLESVM <-- name of the test
  • Status not equal to 0

On the action page send an email with a message including Pollername, Status and RawStatus, but these 'status' values dont seem to look like timeticks units.

For the time being, I put the polling time at 1 min and set 5 secs on the length of time for condition, so it would be reasonably sensitive during my testing.

It seems that the first time I reboot after setting the triggers, it works and then it fails to respond to further reboots, until I change the triggers and then resave with the Status not equal to 0, which pops up a message saying it is clearing the history, then it seems to work again just once. I've tried acknowledging the advanced alert in case this reset the Status but this doesn't work.

Am I using the right trigger conditions? Why is it only working once then needing history cleared.

Which field is the actual 'uptime' value.

I've looked at a lot of the similar issues in the forum, but the SQL queries suggested seem overly complex.

At this point, I'd be happy just getting the value of uptime into every email sent, and then using an outlook rule to only send emails with small uptimes to my work phone.

Any suggestions?

• Hi,

It's been a couple of days and 315 views, so I'm wondering if most solarwinds users use a completely different method to detect reboots, or if they use it only for Windows and use a completely different tool for SLES?

Any suggestions to monitor reboots for non-WIndows systems. emoticons_happy.png