3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 4:08 PM by cczech

VMware ESX host node's child status always red

ckristofek

Monitoring VMware ESXi host and everything is green when I open the node details.  But, the ESX host status on the map view always has the child status as red.  Is this a known software issue?

Thanks.

• Re: VMware ESX host node's child status always red
          petrf

It is probably caused by some of the metrics which reached its threshold e.g. percent memory used > 90%. It can be changed in the "Network Atlas". Open the map and right click on the node and select Properties then select the Metrics tab where you can set metrics and their thresholds.

• Re: VMware ESX host node's child status always red
              ckristofek

Finally had an opportunity to look at this further.  My ESXi 5.0.0 server has 5 VMs on it.  The Orion "ESX Host Details" page shows 6 volumes.  When I do a "list resources", the ESX host responds with the 6 volumes.  Unfortunately, the ESX host does respond to polling on the extra volume, so Orion considers it in error.  The only way to get rid of the constant sub-child error indication for the ESX host was to:
              1.  Go to Manage Nodes, select the VMware host

2.  Expand the device resource list of the node.

3.  Find and select the extra volume

4.  Delete that volume from the database.

Now, Orion is happy with all the resources for the VMware node.

I believe NPM may have a problem with VMware polling and interpreting resource information.