4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 9:18 AM by Brandon Carroll

What does the cloud mean for network management?

Brandon Carroll

It's interesting that this industry is moving to the cloud.  I think that its smart, and it gives us a much broader range of capabilities.  If you attended Cisco Live last week you may know about the announcement of a Cloud Services Router that is basically the same as the ASR routers, that will be released in 2013.  This router runs on ESXi and really looks to be a cool concept with a ton of capabilities.  But what I'm interested in is how how will monitor and manage it.  Since Solarwinds can work with ESXi and VM's and it also works with routers, should this be something that is managed in two parts, or are we seeing the virtualization world and the network world begin to merge and a need to have a single management window for devices like this? 

Here is link to a Packet Pushers episode that covers the CSR 1000v: http://packetpushers.net/pq-show-002-cisco-cloud-services-router-with-prashant-shenoy-sponsored/

• Re: What does the cloud mean for network management?
          byrona

Since Solarwinds can work with ESXi and VM's and it also works with routers, should this be something that is managed in two parts, or are we seeing the virtualization world and the network world begin to merge and a need to have a single management window for devices like this?

In the case of SolarWinds I think the two are the same.  Technically speaking the different tasks are being done by different SolarWinds products; however, if you have integrated them you do ultimately end up with a "single management window".  This is of course assuming I am totally understanding the question or angle at which you are approaching the topic.

I certainly hope that Cisco continues to support the classic methods for managing and monitoring networking gear versus coming up with their own new proprietary API.  Either way I feel comfortable that SolarWinds will do what it takes to adapt and be able to manage and monitor the new Cisco stuff.