14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 7:53 AM by vitines

PollerCheckerTool.exe

mrchesnutt

I just discovered this thanks to a Solarwinds tech. Does anyone know what the colors represent? I see different shades of red and green but I have no idea what they mean.

• Re: PollerCheckerTool.exe
          branfarm

That's a cool tool!  We'll probably need SW to respond for an official answer, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the different colors represent the compatibility of the various internal poller names or OIDs to the device you're examining.   So for instance, on the CPU's, all the red lines are the Pollers/OID for CPU that aren't compatible with that specific node.  Light green is probably compatible OIDs, and green are compatible/assigned for that node.

I could be way off though...

patriot

Bump. SolarWinds?

mharvey

Branfarm is correct in his assumption. The poller checker tool checks the devices against the MIBs that NPM polls for to collect data.  The different shades represent the amount of OID information that was given back from the device.  Once the pollers are discovered you can expand the poller to look at each MIB to get a better idea of exactly which MIBs are supported for say Topology, or CPU.  It's just a good way to see what a device will and will not support to better understand if a Universal Poller is needed for something that NPM collects on other devices.

Regards,

Matthew Harvey

Loop 1 Systems

patriot

Thank you Matthew. Where did you find that explanation? I cannot find any reference to the Pollerchecker in either Core Admin Guide or the NPM Admin Guide.

mharvey

I worked with the tool a bit while I worked at SolarWinds so I was able to get very familiar with it.

patriot

That makes sense. I have always found it interesting that SolarWinds is so lax at documenting things like this. The Pollerchecker tool is clearly not meant solely for SW support engineers to use, so why not mention it (and others?) in the Admin Guides?

Any other hidden tools that you care to talk about?

mharvey

The main reason this wasn't mentioned, I believe, is do to the fact that it was developed to help understand device support, then added in after it had already been used by SW for a while to assist customers.  The other two tools I use are the snmpwalk.exe that will give a full list of OIDs supported by a device and hubble.  As of 10.3, Hubble can be found in the logadjuster that is in Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Documentation and Support.  This tool can be enabled to allow you to see the SQL that is being hit against the database as each page tries to load.  It can help see what resources are causing the pages to load slowly.

akrekic11

What is this tool how do you access it or open it?

mharvey

The poller checker tool is a utility in the Orion installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion) that allows you to discover if your SNMP enabled devices support the different MIBs that NPM polls for. 

vitines

Poller Checker Color Coding:

Light red - Poller is Not Supported on this device, No error Returned

Dark red - Poller is Not Supported on this device, Error returned See Error message

Dark green - Poller is Supported on this device, Already assigned to this Device

Light green - Poller is Supported on this device, But is not Assigned to this Device

If the device does not support the poller, then you will have to contact the device vendor for further assistance.