This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network slow with UDT running on XenServer VM

I've deployed UDT VM on a XenServer host which runs four other VMs. I have set UDT to monitor all our Alcatel-Lucent switches using SNMP with default polling options. When the UDT VM is running the networking starts running very slowly. We have several applications that run over the network and these are now taking a long time to do anything. Turn the UDT VM off and everything returns to normal. The switches CPU and RAM seem to be the same when UDT is on or off.

I'm wondering what the cause of this slowness is and what I can do to resolve it. It occurs to me that UDT may prefer to be run on bare metal. Should running UDT as a XenServer VM be okay? What could be causing the networking to run so slow?

• Hi bushstar,

How many devices / ports do you want to monitor? UDT must poll all the entities which may generate a considerable amount of network traffic. But if you want the information available, the polling must happen. Have you considered dividing your network into more VLANs? E.g. traffic VLAN, O&M (service) VLAN etc. That might help.

Regards,

Jiri

• We have 1200 ports in total but only see 40% of them in use. We have one large network with 1024 legal IP addresses. Would this be enough for UDT to cause application running across the network to run slow?

• Hi,

I have two suggestions:

• First, are you able to dedicate one NIC on the host server just for this UDT VM?
    • If that doesn't help, please open a support case; we don't know of any similar issues, your environment is relatively small.

Jiri