3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 3:44 PM by SolarWinds Community Team

Individual reports

SolarWinds Community Team

I have a report that gives the server name and all of the updates listed needed, however it comes out to 1000+ pages, is there anyway to run this per server in one big job? That way I would be running 250 reports for 250 servers, instead of 1 report for 250 servers.

• Re: Individual reports

1000+ pages in any report suggests a flaw in the report definition causing a cross-join.

Please verify that all of the field definitions and filter definitions come from the same data sources; in the WSUS Analytics reporting category you cannot use multliple datasources.

Notwithstanding that question, most certainly you can run a per-server report. Define a filter on Computer Name and specify the computer name. You can also define an interactive report that prompts for computer name at runtime so you only need one report, albeit executed 250 times for each system.

No the 1000 pages is because it list the server name and then every patch needed for the system. Also, I am aware that I could run the report 250 times and that would give me all of the servers, but I was trying to have a report that includes all servers, but with breaks in it after each server?

How many clients do you have in this environment?

At a minimum, 1000 pages would be 2,000,000 records.. and I have never seen a Computer Update Status report return millions of records.

=250= systems would typically return a report, in the worst of cases, of about 50,000 rows -- but in normal circumstances less than 15,000 rows.

You won't be able to create groups on a report >100,000 rows. You'll either need to filter by some subset of computers, get the report <100,000 rows, and then you can group by computer name, or export the data to another database or reporting engine.

You could also export the SQL code from the report definition to Crystal Reports or SQL Server Reporting Services, and build such a report in that environment.