4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 3:06 PM by SolarWinds Community Team

Expiring patches

SolarWinds Community Team

3rd party patches that are published through Eminentware to wsus, How can i expire them? So i can run wsus clean up to delete them.  I notice that some of the patches i published with METAdata only did not scan properly. Workstation that needs the patch comes back as not required. Those i published wiith FULL works fine. Thanks.

• Re: Expiring patches

HI jc138,

Once the updates are published to the WSUS server, they can be treated just as any Microsoft update would be.   To expire them, you would simply browse down to the updates in question under Update Services -> [WSUS Server Name] -> All Updates    (or Third Party Updates if you have that view defined).   Next you would select the update(s) in question, right-click, and select Expire.

Hmm, i did that and is not showing up as expired when i go to configmgr console to look at software updates. Expire=NO.

I noticed the task to expire patch failed in Eminentware.

Expire Update Package
              Object:
              Java Runtime Environment 6u26 (x86 for x64) (Upgrade)

Details: Expire update package Java Runtime Environment 6u26 (x86 for x64) (Upgrade) failed. Value cannot be null.
              Parameter name: path2

Hi jc138,

Ah, we did not realize you were discussing a Configuration Manager environment as you only initially mentioned WSUS.

In a ConfigMgr environment, you don't want to modify update content from the "WSUS Console" in that way.

If 6u27, 6u29, or 6u30 lists 6u26 as a superseded update, the update will be automatically expired by Configuration Manager when the superseding update (6u27, 6u29, 6u30) is published to the SUP.