This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Handling x32 and x64 installs in one package

I have an upgrade package that needs to use a file version reference under PROGRAM_FILES and have it apply to both 32 (XP) and 64 (7) bit OS.The package in question is Skype, latest release.

This package uses the version number on skype.exe via a file version check using the PROGRAM_FILES common path, less than 5.5.0.0 to be applicable, greater than or equal to 5.5.0.0 to indicate installed.

This works perfectly on my 32 bit machines and installs on my 64 bit machines. It does not ever indicate it was successfully installed however. I am at a loss as to why.

• Hi timbCFCA,

When you say that it does not ever indicate it was successfully installed, do you mean just for the 64-bit machines?

If so, it may just be tha the installed rule is looking in the wrong path on those 64-bit machines.  You can have conditional groupings in the Installed rules to have it 'look' in different places depending on processor type.  That would look something like this:

When any of the following...

When all of the following...

Processor Architecture=x86

[File version check]

When all of the following...

Processor Architecture=x64

[File Version Check]

If you subscribe to our 3rd Party Updates Pack, there are a few packages that have Installed Rules that evaluate against both x86 and x64 machines; I'd recommend looking at how they handle the situation by using "File Version with registry value" checks.  One example of this is Addobe Air 2.6.0.19140; another is Winzip 14.5.   In short, these have rules that look at a path to get the install location, then do a version comparison against the file at that location.

-Kelly

• The file version with registry check was in fact the first method I attempted to use - there is nothing needed for the sub path value and leaving it blank throws a not very useful error.

On reviewing the WinZip package it looks like I can use a ..\Skype.exe in order to achive my goals.

Many thanks.