This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Data Grid Service won't start Error 1064

I've seen a few other posts with regards to the service not being able to start but haven't been able to get it running just yet.

Initially everything worked okay and we were able to run updates but then one day we had to restart the server and that's when the Data Grid service started having problems.  We got...

Failed to connect to the EminentWare Application Server

Verify that the connection information for the EminentWare Server is correct and the EminentWare Data Grid Service is started.

We tried to manually start the service but got...

Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

We figured it was a password issue so we changed the password.  That didn't work either but after reading the post http://www.eminentware.com/cs2008/forums/p/141/380.aspx#380 by jmarchesini it turned out that the service account didn't have the 'Logon As Service' right (Group Policy overwrote it).  So we got that squared away but now when we try to start the service we get...

Error 1064: An exception occurred in the service when handling the control request

We did see another post about the 1064 error http://www.eminentware.com/cs2008/forums/p/24/46.aspx#46 that mentions something about certificates but that didn't appear to be an issue for us (well below 200 certificates).

Going back to jmarchesini's post (second part where he talks about a password change on the service account) he mentions

2) Open the registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EminentWare\Data Grid Service\Roles\Application\Data

When we open the registry editor it only goes as deep as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EminentWare\Data Grid Service\... no Roles\Application\Data sections.  Could this be part of the problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Windows Server 2003 SP2

• That would do it!

These keys get created during installation and if those have been deleted, you are NOT going to be able to start the service.

Did these get mistakenly deleted somehow?

Sounds like something came in and deleted them.

OK, please send a email to www.solarwinds.com/customerportal and we will schedule a online meeting to get you back in business.

• It seems that every time I run updates on my Eminentware server I have to go through the process of clearing the two keys in the registry, changing the password on the ewdgssvc-9862 userid, change the password on the Eminentware Data Grid Service set for automatic startup, and then reenter the passwords for the credentials.  Then every thing works till the next windows update.

I have had to do this 3 times since upgrading to the latest version.  Is this just a coincidence or did something change with the latest update?

Jeff

• Jeff,

the passwords for credentials are encrypted using the DPAPI.

This is tied to the EminentWare Server service account.

Has the service account been changed to have an expiring password?

The only time this should happen is if the password for the service account is somehow being changed?

Specifically, how often is this happening?

Every 3 months?

We would need to look at the security settings on the server to see if there is a setting that is causing this issue.

It is certainly not normal.

Please send a email to www.solarwinds.com/customerportal with your availability and we will schedule a online meeting.

• I think I fixed the problem.  Seems the locally created id on the eminentware server did not have permission to logon as a service.  After adding the local id to our default domain policy in GPO as an id with permission to logon as a service everything seems to be working fine.

Jeff

• I've seen another that caused the error 1064 which i'll post for other users that may find this thread:

If something has changed permission to DCOM on the EminentWare server, the 1064 error can be encountered when the EminentWare Data Grid Service service attempts to start.  (If the Console is started when this error is present, it may show as an RPC connection error and the console will not fully start.)

To check:

• Launch DCOMCNFG.exe
    • browse to 'Console Root -> Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer' and get Properties
    • Go to 'COM Security' tab
    • Under 'Launch and Activation Permissions', click 'Edit Default'
    • Verify that SERVICE has 'Allow' permission to 'Local Activation'

• Another possible cause of this error is if something has deleted or renamed the EWLICENSE.LIC file under \Program Files\EminentWare\Server.   If that file is missing on your server, please contact customersupport@eminentware.com.