This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Distribute and install Update Services Signing Certificate task failing on numerious machines

Hello,

I have an WSUS Windows-XP OU I am attempting to install the Update Services Signing Certificate to. I am using the Client Certificates management wizzard, configuring it for the correct OU, and out of a total of 394 PC's in that OU, only 192 installed successfully. The error messages I see in my exported results spreadsheet:  

Invalid namespace

Attempt to connect to "Machine Name"

Generally what do those errors denote so I can begin to troubleshoot.

Thanks

• Greetings Mark.

The Client Certificates tool requires WMI connectivity to deliver and install the certificate. The "Invalid namespace" error is caused because the Extension Pack WMI Providers have not been deployed successfully. Typically this is a result of some breakdown in the RPC/WMI connectivity process. Resolving the WMI connectivity issues will allow the certificate to be successfully distributed to those clients.

As an alternative to using WMI to deploy these certificates, you can also use Group Policy.

Please refer to our guide: Distributing the WSUS Publishers Self-Signed Certficate Using Group Policy for detailed instructions.