This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adobe 9.4.1 update and compliance

Got a query from our desktop engineers - he is testing his machine that is running Adobe Reader 9.4.0.  When trying to deploy 9.4.1 (Upgrade) via Eminentware/WSUS/SCCM, the system reports 'Compliant' and won't install.  Anything I can check within Eminentware/WSUS to see what the compliance criteria is?  I'm having him try to install the .msp file manually to see what happens and will report back.

Thanks,

Casey

• You can start by viewing the details of why the install(s) are failing by expanding the WSUS Server and selecting the update then viewing the computer summary tab. This should give you more detail.

• In a SCCM environment would this info still end up back in the WSUS database?

• The install status info should be reported back to WSUS only if you have enabled reporting under Config Manager's Site Database -> Site Management -> Site Settings -> Component Configuration -> Software Update Point Component -> Sync Settings

The rules for msp are driven by the vendor in the msp file.  So the criteria is not viewable like packages built with msi and exe.

If you would like, we can set up a GoTo Meeting to discuss this further. Just send us an email at customersupport@eminentware.com

• I have noticed this as well for adobe reader 9.4.1.  Although I have successfully synched, created an update list, downloaded and deployed to an SCCM Collection, I am also getting the compliancy issues.  When I check - machines are showing compliant, and also do not install, but a query shows that the machines are still at older versions ( although still in the 9.x line, for instance 9.2 or 9.3 etc )

• Are these machines showing the MSP as applicable?

• This is expected behavior. The Adobe Reader v9.4.1 update will only install on an existing installation of Adobe Reader v9.4.0.

Most likely the machines are showing compliant because a valid update has not been identified as applicable to those machines.

If you publish the Adobe Reader v9.4.0 package and add it to the Update List, those other 9.x machines will now show as NotCompliant and they will likely install the 9.4.0 package, and then continue to show as NotCompliant due to the availability of the 9.4.1 package.

• Thank Lawrence,

But in my original post - the machine in question already has 9.4.0.  Are you saying that even if it has 9.4.0 I should put 9.4.0 in the update list along with the 9.4.1 upgrade?

• If the Windows Installer does not see a machine-based installation of Adobe Reader v9.4.0, the Adobe Reader v9.4.1 MSP-based update will not be installed.

For those machines that do have downlevel versions of Adobe Reader installed, e.g. Adobe Reader v9.3, v9.2, etc., which you've stated is true for some machines, this is expected behavior. The Adobe Reader v9.4.1 update cannot be applied to systems that are not already running Adobe Reader v9.4.0. These machines must first be updated to Adobe Reader v9.4.0, and for those machines you should add the Adobe Reader v9.4.0 update package to the Update List.

In the scenario where Adobe Reader v9.4.0 is installed, and Adobe Reader v9.4.1 is properly available to that system, the appearance of the Adobe Reader v9.4.0 system as "Compliant", indicates that there is some additional reason why the Adobe Reader v9.4.1 update is not being detected as applicable or installable. One known scenario in which MSI-based applications can exhibit this behavior is when the application is installed as  PER-USER application, rather than a PER-COMPUTER application. In this scenario, the appropriate remediation is to uninstall and reinstall the application in the correct mode.

In any event, the first step in the process is to determine why the update is not being detected as applicable.

Running the MSP interactively from the affected client can also provide useful feedback. If the MSP file successfully installed, this would suggest that the compliance information displayed for this client in the ConfigMgr console is not accurate. A relative question may be when that compliance information was most recently obtained. If it was prior to the publication of the Adobe Reader v9.4.1 update, then this is a valid response, and the issue is merely refreshing the client's reporting data. If the client reporting is post-publication, then it's a reasonable assumption that the information is not correct, and why incorrect information is being reported is the working question.