This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Database Sizing?

I have roughly 1250 client machines.  How big should I reasonably expect the eminentware database (mdf + ldf) to get?

I know there are a lot of variables here (which and how many items from each computer you are including in the inventory, etc.).  I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate.  10GB?  100GB?  I have a test system with 6 clients and full SQL 2008 R2, and the database + log is roughly 300MB.

Figure 1 in the deployment guide lists 4GB for 500-2500 clients, but that seems like a pretty wide range of clients and a fairly small DB.

I just don't want to get into trouble because I trusted the 4GB estimate, and used SQL express (10GB limit) and then found out my DB will really be 25GB.  Likewise, I don't want to estimate 25GB, put it on a server with 50GB free space and then find out it will really be 100GB.  I don't want to paint myself into a corner emoticons_happy.png

• The Express Edition (4GB) should be more than sufficient for 1,250 clients. The note in the Deployment Guide is fairly accurate. We have seen several instances of a couple thousand clients (more or less) comfortably existing in a 4GB max SQL 2005 Express database environment. The biggest variables that affect database size are the Managed Computer inventory tasks, and what objects you capture, and the number of tasks and task history retention.

Your 300mb test database is about typical for an initial installation -- and that's primarily based on the space consumption used for the WSUS Inventory. You can roughly estimate this based on the current size of the WSUS database, as we duplicate almost all of that WSUS database into the Extension Pack database to support reporting. What you're not seeing with your six client test environment is the impact of the Managed Computer inventory across a thousand systems.

Note also, that even if you did encounter space issues with the Express Edition, the Extension Pack does support a SQL Server SKU Upgrade, so it would be fairly simple to upgrade the SQL 2005 Express to SQL 2008 Express, or to Standard Edition, should that be necessary.