6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 1:26 PM by SolarWinds Community Team

wsus and sccm servers

SolarWinds Community Team

We have an SCCM server and a WSUS server.  WSUS is configured on the SCCM server and all reports and functions have been done through the sccm interface.  I installed eminentware on the sccm server for that reason.  However, when I configure either the wsus or sccm server or both at the same time in the eminentware interface I am getting a message that the servers are actively refusing the connection.  Not sure what I need to do here.

• Re: wsus and sccm servers

Hi,

I would check to see what port the SUP/WSUS server is using.

I would then verify that the port you selected when you registered the WSUS/SUP server in EW matches the SUP port.

If that doesnt resolve the problem, please send an email and we will have a look online to see what is happening.

I think you would be talking about port 80.  We have 80 and 443 open on the sccm server to communicate with the other servers.  I need

to verify that the eminentware should be installed on the sccm server not the wsus server.  The admin account that we use in sccm is sccmadmin

and that is the service account that I used during the eminentware install.  That id is referenced when the error comes up but the sccmadmin

id is an admin on the box.  It is in the sccm-admin group set up in AD and added to the sccm box.

Source: Data Grid Server (AFAFG-PP-SCCM01)

Device: AFAFG-Pd-wdep01.AFCORP.AFG

Details: Worker Process PID: 22912 Start Time: 10/10/2010 2:55:51 PM Exception Time: 10/10/2010 2:56:04 PM

Exception occurred at 10/10/2010 2:56:04 PM: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.1.18.22:80

Unable to connect to the remote server

WSUSConnection::Unable to connect to the WSUS Server (AFAFG-Pd-wdep01.AFCORP.AFG) using the account: afg\sccmadmin

Unable to connect to the remote serverNo connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.1.18.22:80

This was the message that I got.  An additional question -  I added the wsus afafg-pd-wdep01 server as the update server in eminentware but should that be the sccm server

where eminientware is installed or should both servers be configured.  I have tried putting both in.  The documentation that I have is not real clear on which server to use for the

install and the configuration.

The server that you want to target is the site server with the SUP role. A SUP role uses WSUS under the covers as you know, so this is the machine you want to register.

IOW, you want to target and connect to the server that has WSUS on it, which is typically the Site Server.

I am getting this error now.  I have configured the sccm server per the administration guide.  When I click on updates that is listed under the sccm server

I get this error.

Server:    AFAFG-Pp-sccm01.AFCORP.AFG
                          Message:    Exception occurred at 10/10/2010 5:11:54 PM: Request for principal permission failed. WSUSConnection::Unable to connect to the WSUS Server (AFAFG-Pp-sccm01.AFCORP.AFG) using the account: afg\sccmadmin Request for principal permission failed.

We have an admin account set up in the 3 locations and I have added those as follows:  afg\sccmadmin, ampublic\sccmadmin, and houston\sccmadmin.  I cannot figure out why I am getting this error.  I have used portqry to check port 80 and port 4092 which are both list within the configuration settings for eminentware.

OK,

couple of things to understand.

Is the server AFAFG-Pp-sccm01.AFCORP.AFG a Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2?

If so, is UAC enabled?

If it is enabled, please change/find the credential you have assigned to this server in the credential ring to the built in local Administrator account.

UAC filters the Administrators group SID out of all local logons EXCEPT the built-in Administrator account.

Also, please check the permissions on the following registry key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Update Services\Server

and see if it grants the local 'Users' group read access.

If not, please add the local Users groups to have read.