1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 11:44 AM by SolarWinds Community Team

Applicability vs. Installed Rules

SolarWinds Community Team

When the difference between the two is a "NOT", I'm seeing some systems showing as not applicable when the software is actually installed.

In this particular case I've got a registry entry that holds the version of the software. If it's there at X value then the correct software is installed, if that value is NOT correct then this patch is applicable. The prerequisite rules apply correctly as servers are also in Not Applicable.

What, if anything, am I doing "wrong"?

• Re: Applicability vs. Installed Rules
          SolarWinds Community Team

Applicability Rules and Installed Rules are evaluated independently. The individual boolean result of those two rulesets are then evaluated.

Simply stated, if Applicability Rules is TRUE =AND= Installed Rules is FALSE, then the package will be detected as applicable for installation.

If Applicability Rules is FALSE =OR= Installed Rules is TRUE, then the package will not be detected as applicable for installation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "When the difference between the two is a NOT..", but the above two rules are the only rules that need be considered to determine the expected result.

You may also find some benefit from reviewing the Third Party Package Creation Video #2 which discusses in extensive detail the individual rules, their uses and quirks, and the interaction of the Applicability Rules with the Installed Rules.

It may also be possible toassist you further by looking at the specific example and values involved. Please send the details of your specific scenario to customersupport for further assistance.