3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 11:30 AM by SolarWinds Community Team

What is an "exclusive update"?

SolarWinds Community Team

During testing I attempted to push install an update using The Update Mgmt Wizard. I picked a test server, and looked at WSUS to find an update to push to it that it needed to install.  I picked the Remote Desktop Client, approved it, and created a task to install it using the dynamic update management rules.  I picked KB for the rule and typed in 925876.  I set the task to reboot before and after only if required by Windows Updates. The task ran, but EminentWare reported that the package was Not Applicable, and the error reported is below.

I could not find anything in your help files or online to define what an "Exclusive Update" is and why I can't install it.

Operation: Install
      Object: Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 (KB925876)

Details: The update 'Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 (KB925876) with classification 'Updates'' and ID 'b8f88a6a-6f9a-4f2e-a026-be387e21f522' revision number '101' was requested for Install will not be installed because it is an exclusive update (Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 (KB925876)) and has been requested to be ignored for installation.

• Re: What is an "exclusive update"?

Good question.

A exclusive update is an update that must be installed by itself. IOW, if you pick it, it HAS to be the only one you pick. Also, there is an option to ignore exclusive if you are using the Update Management Wizard. It is on the second page of the wizard. If you tell it to, it will ignore exclusive updates.

• Re: What is an "exclusive update"?

It was the only update I picked to install, but it did not install.  I did not choose to ignore exclusive.  Here is the task:

Description:
              Purpose: Configuration Management
              State: N/A
              Submitted By: DOMAIN\Administrator
              Created: 5/18/2010 3:42:46 PM
              Started: N/A
              Completed: N/A
              ID: 0c03d6bd-6ed5-4daa-a8d6-13e1c2d3a762
              Task ID: N/A
              Schedule: Daily at 3:43 PM and starts on 5/18/2010 and reoccurs with no end date.
              Export Options: The results will not be exported.
              Email Options:  The results will be emailed to (admin@domain.com).
              Operation(s):

Reboot before: No
              Reboot before only if required by Windows Update: Yes
              Maximum wait time on pre-reboot (in minutes): 5
              Reboot after: No
              Message: On behalf of user domain\administrator, a reboot request was made for the installation of updates/software.
              Force downloads: No
              Force installs: No
              Use Microsoft Update Catalog: No
              Include Only Approved: Yes
              Approved Only Option: Any approved update
              Dont include superseded: No
              Install exclusive update only if found: No
              Planning Mode: No
              Reboot After (Only if require by Windows Update): Yes
              Reboot After (Only if updates succeed): No
              Do not include exclusive updates: Yes

Rule: KB article equals '925876'