5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 11:27 AM by SolarWinds Community Team

Check free disk space before updates?

SolarWinds Community Team

Is there any way to check the free disk space to make sure there are xx megabytes free or xx% free space prior to launching an Update Management task to install updates?

• Re: Check free disk space before updates?

The report "Disk Volumes Basic" in the "Files, Directories, and Storage Devices" reporting category can be used to get volume space availability if a machine has been inventoried.

Yes, I am aware of how to inventory it, but how do I tie the inventory task to the update task?  I want to apply the update managmenet task to install Security and Critical updates to all computers in an AD OU, but I don't want it to run if the target computer has less than 1Gb of free space.  I'm trying to get a more automated method than manually checking the reports, then manually excluding computers with low disk space.

My apologies; I misunderstood the situation.

There is no way to directly tie one to the other. Currently the application does not allow for conditional execution of successive tasks.

You could, in the scenario you describe, select the computers to target for deployment report itself by sorting on the available space column (or filtering for free space > 1gb), and initiate the deployment event from within the report viewer, and in this way restrict the deployment task to only those systems known to have sufficient free space. This would exclude the manual steps you describe, but that's the extent of any methodology for tying a machine's status to a particular event.

OK thanks Lawrence, I just ran though in Planning mode to get that to work, and it looks like I can schedule it which is good.

The computers selection though isn't dynamic I'm assuming (just by the way the filter looks), so I'd have to manually do this process everytime I wanted to update my computers right?

If you have space sensitivity issues, then yes. But I doubt that you're going to be deploying "All Critical and Security Updates" in manner such that space is an ongoing consideration. (The amount of space used by monthly updates is measured in 10s of megabytes, not hundreds.). Also, generally speaking, the WUAgent is aware of space issues, and if insufficient space exists to implement an update, it will fail gracefully.

Also note that all detected updates would normally already be downloaded in such a scenario, so the downloads will use much more space than the individual installations will require. Since the WUAgent installs updates one at a time, the actual amount of disk space to install a typical critical or security updates is probably measured in single-digit megabytes.