This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Automation server rules!

I'm having some trouble with the automation server rules. Here's some info about my setup.

Server1 : Wsus, Application, Management, automation

Server2 : Wsus, Application, Management, automation

I've set 2 absolute automation wsus rules to state that computers report to server1 use server1 as their automation server. Likewise for server2 (currently no computers report to server2).

Everytime I try and perform a check connentivity task server2 automation server is attempting to perform the task. The only problem is that server2 is in a DMZ environment and cannot communicate to a lot of the servers.

Why doesn't the automation rule work and only run on server1 as I've stated in the rule?

• I believe your challenge exists as a result of the relationship between management server roles and automation server roles. An automation server belongs to a specific management group. and only the resources managed by that management group can have tasks assigned to an automation server in that management group.

Because you have management server roles installed on both systems, each of those automation servers belongs, individually, to each of the management groups created in each of those management servers. Thus when you generate a task from Server2, the only automation server that is available to Server2 is the automation server installed on Server2. This will be the same circumstance for Server1.

In addition, while not entirely relevant in this particular scenario, there's also the consideration as to whether you've installed two separate Primary Application Servers, in which case you have two independent EminentWare environments; or whether one of those App/Mgmt/Auto servers is actually installed as second application server registered with the other server as the primary. In this scenario, it's conceivable that you could generate tasks for machines assigned to either server, if the console session were configured to have access to both management groups; however, the available automation server(s) for performing tasks are still dependent on the automation servers assigned to the management group containing the target system(s).

Generally speaking, though, if you've installed two independent Primary Application Servers, then only the resources assigned to WSUS1 and the members of the domain(s) and/or workgroup(s) assigned to the managmeent group created on Server1 will be managable by the management group and automation server housed on Server1, and only the resources assigned to WSUS2 and the members of the domain(s) and/or workgroup(s) assigned to the management group created on Server2 will be managable by the management group and automation server housed on Server2.

For more information on the concepts, deployment of, and uses of additional server roles and additional servers, see the Deployment Guide.

• Sorry for the late reply to this thread.

I think that I understand the way the roles work now.

To be simple and if I understand this each Management group can only have 1 server with the management role assigned to it.

does that sound about right?

thanks.

• I've configured the second server as only an automation server, have set the automation server rules so that each wsus server will handle the request and I'm still getting server2 executing tasks to clients that are on server1

• 1 other thing.

I have a separate SQL instance installed on each server, should I only have 1 instance and point all Eminentware servers to that 1 SQL instance?

•  jezkerwin:

I've configured the second server as only an automation server, have set the automation server rules so that each wsus server will handle the request and I'm still getting server2 executing tasks to clients that are on server1

• Please send a email to Customer Support with your contact information and availability and we will schedule a web meeting to have a look.

• I'll send an email to customer support however due to our company security policy we cannot allow any form of web meeting, webex, gotomeeting or any other form of remote access to third parties.

But can provide any other form of assistance required.