This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Installing EminentWare Provider on virtualbox

Is it possible to manually install the EminentWare Provider on a windows install.

I currently run Linux on my laptop and I have virtualbox running my windows environment.  I'm not really sure how to get the provider installed on my virtual windows machine.  Can this be done manually?  Or would it even work if I were to get it installed.

Thanks

Jeff

• Hi Jeff,

You can definitely install the provider manually.  To locate the .msi package, look in the filesystem on the EminentWare server in the following directory (assuming the default install path): C:\program files\eminentware\server\packages\eminentware.  In that directory, you'll see a file like wmiproviders_1.40.126.msi.  That is the WMI provider and you can move it to wherever and just double-click it to launch the install.

Now, I have no idea if it will run with virtualbox, as I'm not familiar with that.  I can tell you that we have a number of clients using VMWare and VPC VMs with no problems.

John

• Just to let you know what I found out about this issue.

Yes it will work on a Ubuntu machine running virtualbox for a windows machine.

However you will need to set your virtualbox up with a bridged network adapter instead of the "Network Address Translation" (NAT) mode which virtualbox uses by default.

for example on my machine I had to setup a bridged adapter on my linux wlan0 adapter.  This allows the virtualbox to obtain a true network ip instead of receiving a generic 10.0.*.* address from virtualbox.

My co-worker said he has run into previous issues of Ubuntu not liking the bridged network adapter setup.  I am running the most recent version of Ubuntu, and version 3.1.0 r55467 of virtualbox, and it worked the first time I set it up.

Jeff

• Hey Jeff,

Glad to hear that it worked out and thanks for the update.  Now I can probably talk someone into letting me get a linux box ;-)

John