3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 11:08 AM by SolarWinds Community Team

Minimum permissions for security ring users

SolarWinds Community Team

I am wanting to create a number of service accounts in AD to use within Eminentware.

What are the minimum permissions required to allow the service account to connect to a server and install updates using Eminentware.

• Re: Minimum permissions for security ring users

The service account needs to be an administrator equivalent on the target machine.

Also, if you are performing reboot along with the update management task, you will need to ensure that the account has "Remote Shutdown' user rights (which Admins have by default)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm, I dont think our security officier would allow service accounts to have that much access.

Is it possible to configure EminentWare to prompt for credentials before executing an update management task.

At the moment my domain admin account is being used to execute the tasks. I want to move away from that as there will be a couple of domain admin accounts used by different people will be used.

What other way would you suggest to have this implemented.

thanks.

Maybe I dont understand the suggestion, so bare with me.

When would the prompt for credentials occur?

Would this prompt occur in the EminentWare Console when submitting the task?

FYI, this would prevent you from being able to run these tasks unattended or scheduled.

The administrator account is required for a few reasons...

The remote WMI connections really require the account to be an Administrator equivalent.

The installation of updates is typically an Administrator only operation.

This Windows Update Agent Interfaces (which is what we use) require Administrator equivalent when calling the API for download and installation operations.

If I dont understand your questions, let me know and send an email to customersupport@eminentware.com and we can discuss this further via a private email.