This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Getting this when trying to open the MMC

---------------------------

Connection Failed

The attempt to connect the EminentWare Application Server failed.

Communication failure.

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

Details: dgsrpcinterface::smartbind() failed.

OK 

All services are started as far as I can tell.

• Once I click on OK this appears.

Failed to connect to the EminentWare Application Server

Sorry, we are unable to connect to the EminentWare Server.

Verify that the connection information for the EminentWare Server is correct and the EminentWare Data Grid Service is started.

Details: The attempt to connect the EminentWare Application Server failed.

Communication failure.

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

Details: dgsrpcinterface::smartbind() failed.

OK 

I am running the demo, or at least I am trying to.

• Hi UKTonyK,

sorry you are having issues.

When is this error occuring?

Is this during installation or after installation when bringing up the EminentWare console for the first time?

Also, can you give us a little information on the OS version where you have installed EminentWare?

It may be quicker for us to directly have a look with you. If you have time, send an email to customersupport@eminentware.com and we can setup a web meeting to triage the issue.

Thanks

• This is on first opening after install.

The install is on a Windows 2003 Server with SP1 and WSUS 3.0 SP1.

Unfortunately we do not allow web meetings with external parties onto our systems so this is going to have to be done by good old text power!

I am currently re doing the install, with the app being installed to the C: drive as the initial install was to another drive letter. Will see if that resolves it.

• Update

EminentWare Registration

Setup was unable to register the EminentWare Server.

This can be caused if the Primary Application Server Service is not started, the service's computer has a firewall blocking the request, or the current user is not allowed to register EminentWare Servers. If a local registration was attempted please cerify the certificates exist and the password is correct for the Server certificate. Please run the Setup Helper Application located in the EminentWare Server installation directory again when the problem has been corrected.

OK 

get this at the end of the install. Am installing with the local Administrator account. Clues? I am close to binning this altogether as I have spent far too long on trying to get this to work.

• Please check and set the following registry keys/values:

HKLM\Software\EminentWare\Logging

If this key doesnt exist, please create it.

Create/Set the following registry values:

All these are REG_DWORD

Options: 3

Level: 3

Enable: 1

Please restart the EminentWare Server service and send us the logs at our secure site at

eminentware.sharefile.com

• OK, have managed to get the console up and running. But am now having trouble adding credentials.

While in Security and User Management within the Credentials tab and trying to add my domain credentials ( format [i:6c5eaea8f3]domain\myuserid[/i:6c5eaea8f3]) I get the following error

Source: Csla

Device: Failed to create new credential.

Details: None

Message: The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value.

The statement has been terminated.

DataPortal_Insert method call failed

DataPortal.Update failed

• This issue has been resolved in an update.

Please contact customersupport@eminentware.com and we will provide instructions on how to get the update.

• Patch installed, thank you for making that available. Credentials have now been entered.

Next issue is I keep getting Data Grid Errors ( whatever they are) and the MMC keeps unloading. Am trying to find a troubleshooting document but no joy so far.

Source: EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls

Device: Failed to retrieve requested information.

Reason: All management servers are unavailable for management group (Managed Enterprise)

Object: UKRHMWUP03.euprod.travp.net

Object Type: wsusserver

Source: EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls

Device: Failed to retrieve requested information.

Reason: All management servers are unavailable for management group (Managed Enterprise)

MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.

Report this error to microsoft, and then shut down MMC

Unload the snap-in and continue running.

Source: Data Grid Server (LRHIIT11110)

at EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls.UpdateServiceServersViewControl.ExecuteServerFetchWithProgressDialog(UpdateServicesServer updateserver)

at EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls.UpdateServiceServersViewControl.FetchUpdateServerConfig(UpdateServerConfiguration serverconfig)

at EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls.ComputerGroupsAsyncScopeNode.CheckAndRetrieveServerIfRequired()

at EminentWare.UI.MMC.Controls.ComputerGroupsAsyncScopeNode.OnExpand(AsyncStatus status)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NodeSyncManager.ProcessRequest(NodeRequestInfo info, IRequestStatus requestStatus)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NamespaceSnapInBase.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SnapIn.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

• The error indicates that there are no management servers available for the Managed Enterprise MG. This error will occur if

1) You create a Management Group and dont provision a management server for it (probably not what we are seeing here)

2)For some reason, the EminentWare Server that you have installed (which if you took the defaults probably has all roles: primary, application,management, and automation) cannot communicate with itself for some reason. When the request is made, it doesnt have any available Management Servers for the Managed Enterprise management group. This sounds like there is a communications issue locally.

The best way to diagnose this issue is to ensure logging is enabled and send the log for the EminentWare Server.

The log can be found in the installation directory under server. The log file will be called something like the following:

EminentWare.DataGridService.exe.62159320.2212.log.txt with different numbers after the .exe and before the .log.txt.

Please upload these to our secure extranet at:

https://eminentware.sharefile.com

and we will get to the bottom of this.